1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotels Vs. Guest Houses

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Malibu, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Malibu

Malibu New Member

If you are traveling alone, would you rather stay at a known hotel or do you prefer staying in some sort of lodge or guest house? Which is a safer option?

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

For the most part, if finances permit it I will usually choose a hotel. I've stayed in Air BNB accommodation on a trip to Hong Kong, because it was far, far cheaper than a hotel. I had no problems with feeling safe and secure on my HK trip, but I don't know that it's the case like that around the world when it comes to guest houses. I would honestly say that from a safety perspective I would go for hotels, always.

3. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Hotels are your best bet I know they're costly but if you can afford it then you shouldn't risk your safety with staying in someone's guest house or air BNB that maybe you haven't seen before. Try booking a business hotel or a travel lodge if you're concerned about finances but I suppose the safest bet is staying with one of your relatives abroad if that's possible you might even get a home cooked meal as well.

4. Sharon

Sharon New Member

I have a strong preference for hotels. I wouldn't feel safe staying in a guest house because you don't know who's running it. Hotels at least have a well-known name, well-known customer relations policies, etc.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

If I am travelling alone, I would rather stay on a hotel room. These are my reasons:

1. It is safer. I have watched a film where a traveller stayed alone on a guest house and it ended tragically. Yeah, I know it's only a film but it really became etched on my mind for some reason.:/

2. It is more convenient. Hotels has everything from food, services, amenities, you name it. When it is in the middle of the night and you want food, you can ring up the hotel restaurant.

3. It has security personnel. They can serve as a protection for 24/7.

4. It is more practical. A hotel room is more practical for me because it is just the right size for one person.

amelia88 likes this.
  6. Sharon

Sharon New Member

Number two brings up a good point -- good hotels are very convenient! Guest houses may not offer you all of the conveniences or amenities of a quality hotel.

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Totally agree with you about the food side of things too - it's particularly convenient if your flight gets in at a weird hour and roaming the streets to find a meal isn't really what you want to do. That's happened to me many times before and I've been super thankful that I stayed at a hotel, since I could easily organize a meal there rather than having to venture out into the unknown late at night!

8. Malibu

Malibu New Member

Thanks for your input, guys. I think it will be worth it to delay my trip in order to save a bit more money to be able to afford a hotel. I would rather feel safe than worry about money.

9. Amelie

Amelie New Member

I'm not really someone who's good at entrusting myself to the kindness of strangers (because let's face it, even if we're also paying at guest houses, there are still a lot more risks involved, and we're banking on the hosts' kindness and decency), so I usually spring for a hotel room. Yes, it's more expensive and "indulgent", but for the most part, I like that it's impersonal and offers more conveniences.

Sharon likes this.
  10. Sharon

Sharon New Member

Amelie, I think you hit the nail on the head for me: "I like that it's impersonal..." I think that's exactly why I like hotels best of all the lodging options you have when you travel.

11. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

I would prefer a known hotel