1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far is Coorg from Bangalore?

Discussion in 'Karnataka' started by Shashi, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Shashi

Shashi New Member

I want to go for a short holiday which would last only a few days, which means the destination should be near by. One place which I have thought about going to is Coorg.

I would like to know how far Coorg from Bangalore by road is? If the distance is a lot, I would have to choose another destination (which I don't want to).

Please provide details of the distance between Coorg from Bangalore by car and bus, the distance and time it would take.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Shashi! Welcome to the forum!

There are three routes that you can take to reach Coorg from Bangalore. These routes have different distances each:
    • Route No. 1 via NH75 - Bangalore > Makali > Kunigal > Yadiyur > Hirisave > Channarayapattana > Holenarasipur > Ramanathapura > Kodagu/Coorg.
    This route is about 267 kms and it can take you 5 to 6 hours to cover this distance by car. This route also has tolls so it's a bit faster and well-maintained.
    • Route No. 2 via NH275 - Bangalore > Makali > Kunigal > Yadiyur > Hirisave > Channarayapattana > Ramanathapura > Kodagu/Coorg.
    This route is about 243 kms and it can take you 5 hours to 30 minutes to cover the distance by car. It also has tolls like the first route.
    • Route No. 3 via NH75 and SH85 - Bangalore > Kanakapura > Malavalli > Kesare > Chikunda > Maldare > Kodagu/Coorg.
    This route is the longest at 280 kms. It can take you 6 to 7 hours to cover this distance by car. Just like the other two routes, it also has tolls.

By bus, the duration of the journey would be a bit longer. This has to do with the stopovers, delays and picking up of the passengers. You can typically reach Coorg from Bangalore within 7 hours by bus, especially if you consider the traffic. Some buses though can reach Coorg as early as 6 hours while others can reach it as late as 9 hours. Since I've already given you the routes by car, here are some bus timings from Bangalore to Coorg, so you can have an idea of their running times:

1. KSRTC Bus Timings
    • Airavat Buses (Bangalore to Mangaluru) - Departure times are 7:02, 10:03 and 23:12. Fare is at Rs. 396 per passenger.
    • Airavat Club Class Buses (Bangalore to Madikeri) - Departure times are 12:05 and 15:33. Fare is at Rs. 396 to Rs. 441 per passenger.
    • Karnataka Sarige Buses (Bangalore to Mangaluru) - Departure times are 10:06, 13:31, 22:01 and 22:36. Fare is at Rs. 240 to Rs. 316 per passenger.
    • Rajahamsa Executive Buses (Bangalore to Madikeri/Bagamandala) - Departure times are 8:32, 9:30, 21:31, 22:28, 22:36, 23:00, 23:16, 23:33, 23:55 and 23:57. Fare is at Rs. 315 to Rs. 346 per passenger.
    2. Private Bus Timings
    • Poornima Tours (Non AC Seater Bus) - Departure times are 10:00 pm, 10:30 pm and 11:00 pm. Fare is at Rs. 300 per passenger.
    • Ashwini Tours and Travels (Non Ac Seater Bus) - Departure times are 10:30 pm and 10:40 pm. Fare is at Rs. 299 per passenger.
    I hope this helps.:)

3. Prits

Prits Member

The distance between Bangalore and Coorg (also known as Kodagu) by road is approximately 265 to 300 kilometers, depending on the specific route you take within Coorg. The driving time can vary based on traffic conditions and road quality. Here are some approximate distances and travel times for your reference:

By Car:

• Distance: Approximately 265 to 300 kilometers
    • Travel Time: Depending on the route and traffic, it can take approximately 5 to 6 hours to drive from Bangalore to Coorg by car. The most common route is via the Mysore Road (SH 17) and State Highway 88.
    By Bus:

• Distance: Similar to the car route, approximately 265 to 300 kilometers
    • Travel Time: Bus travel time can vary depending on the type of bus (express, semi-sleeper, etc.) and the number of stops it makes. Generally, it can take between 6 to 8 hours to reach Coorg from Bangalore by bus.
    Please note that road conditions and travel times may fluctuate, so it's advisable to check the latest information and consider the specific destination within Coorg you plan to reach. Additionally, the journey can be longer during peak holiday seasons, so it's a good idea to plan your trip accordingly and check with local authorities for any travel advisories or road closures.