1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Apply Passport In Chennai?

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Lakshmika, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Lakshmika

Lakshmika New Member

Hello, I am Lakshimka from Chennai and I am applying for my passport for the very first time. My parents are in Coimbatore, so I have to manage this all on my own, which is why I have joined the forum so that I can get some guidance on how to apply for a passport in Chennai?

2. Deven

Deven Member

Hi Lakshimka. The procedure for applying for a passport is the same throughout India.

There are two ways that you can apply for a passport online or offline where you have to go in submit your application by hand.

Whether you wish to apply for a passport online or offline you need to visit the Indian passport site, where you would be able to print out an application form and also make your online application.

The official passport site would look like the image given below, so don't be mistaken to visit any other site which may be fake.

passport site.jpg

You need to click on the Forms and Affidavits tab in the 'Before You Apply' section. From there you would choose the relevant form required. The 'Before You Apply' section would also guide you to other queries you may have about the documents required and other information.

application.jpg

For online applications please follow the procedure given below:

online application.png

If you are going to apply by printing out an application form you can submit your application form at the following passport Seva Kendra:

Regional Passport Office
    Chennai
    Tamil Nadu
    044 2851 8848

Passport Seva Kendra Saligramam
    Chennai
    Tamil Nadu
    044 2851 3640

3. Karan

Karan Member

Hello Lakshimka! I'm glad you reached out for guidance on applying for a passport in Chennai. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:

Step 1: Create an Account on the Passport Seva Website
    1. Visit the Official Website:
    2. Register/Login:
      • If you are a new user, click on "New User? Register Now" to create an account. If you already have an account, log in using your credentials.
    Step 2: Fill in the Passport Application Form
    1. Click on "Apply for Fresh Passport":
      • After logging in, select the "Apply for Fresh Passport" option.
    2. Fill in the Application Form:
      • Complete the online application form with accurate details. Ensure that you have all necessary documents with you for reference.
    3. Choose the Passport Office:
      • Select the Passport Office as per your location (in this case, Chennai).
    Step 3: Schedule an Appointment
    1. Choose a Date and Time:
      • Schedule an appointment at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Passport Office. Select a date and time convenient for you.
    2. Pay the Fee:
      • Pay the applicable fee online. The fee depends on the type of passport (normal or tatkal) and the number of pages.
    Step 4: Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)
    1. Gather Required Documents:
      • Ensure you have all necessary documents such as proof of identity, proof of address, passport-size photographs, and any other supporting documents.
    2. Visit the PSK:
      • On the scheduled date and time, visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) mentioned in your appointment confirmation.
    3. Biometric and Document Verification:
      • Your biometrics (photograph and fingerprints) will be taken, and your documents will be verified at the PSK.
    Step 5: Passport Processing
    1. Application Processing:
      • After successful verification, your application will enter the processing stage. You can track the status online.
    Step 6: Passport Dispatch
    1. Receive SMS Alerts:
      • You will receive SMS alerts regarding the status of your application.
    2. Passport Dispatched:
      • Once processed, your passport will be dispatched, and you will receive an SMS with the dispatch details.
    Step 7: Collect the Passport
    1. Collect the Passport:
      • Visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or the designated Passport Office to collect your passport. Carry the appointment receipt and original documents.
    2. Acknowledgment Receipt:
      • Collect the acknowledgment receipt as it may be required for future reference.
    Make sure to check the official Passport Seva website for any updates or changes in the application process. If you have any specific questions or concerns during the application process, you can also reach out to the Passport Helpline mentioned on the website.

Best of luck with your passport application, Lakshimka! If you have any further questions or need more assistance, feel free to ask.