1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to call US toll free number from India?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Sabita, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Sabita

Sabita New Member

I have to call a number in the US which is toll-free. I have tried dialing the number, but it doesn't work, when I call any other number in the US, it works fine, and that particular toll-free number works in the US fine.

I don't know if I am not dialling something which I should be when calling a toll free number, so please help me in knowing how to call US toll free number from India?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Sabita! Welcome to the forum!

There's a certain format required in order to be able to call a US toll-free number from India. But first, keep in mind that even though the number is a toll-free one, since you would be making an international call, there might be charges incurred. Sometimes, this is stated to you when making the call but sometimes it won't be. So just be prepared for that, as the charges might be higher than normal. If you'd still like to know how to dial a US toll-free number from India, then read on.

Format for Calling US Toll-Free Number (From India)Exit Code for India + Country Code for US + Toll Free Code + Phone Number
    Based on the table above, you now have the format for dialling the number. Let us breakdown this table into a more understandable form:
    • Exit Code for India - The exit code for India is 00, this number is necessary whenever you're dialling an international number. It always comes first, prior to dialling all the other codes and the main phone number.
    • Country Code for US - The country code for the US is 1 and this comes after the exit code. Each country has a different country code too, much like the exit code. You can easily search these codes online, if ever you need to find a country code for another country.
    • Toll Free Code - All toll-free numbers incur the charges whenever they receive a call, thus the caller won't have any charges at all. But usually, this only applies for local calls, not international calls. Toll free codes in the US are mainly 800, 888, 877, 855 and 844.
    • Phone Number - This is the main phone number which you input after the toll free code. This is usually a seven digit number.
    So with this in mind, you can input the following values:
    • 00 + 1 + 800 + 1234567
    If ever the toll free number is in this format:
    • 1 800 1234567
    Then, you already have the country code, the toll free code and the phone number. You just need to input the exit code for India at the beginning of this number. This is how the final number should look like:
    • 00 1 800 1234567 (Mind that the plus signs are not really included in the final format)
    I hope this works for you!:)