1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to dial us number from India?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by SudeshY, Sep 28, 2016.

1. SudeshY

SudeshY New Member

My son has recently gone to the US and he has a new number which he has given. I would like to know what to dial before the US number when calling from India?

I have a landline number and a mobile number for him, so I am not sure if the dialing code before a mobile number and landline are different.

2. Blue Betta

Blue Betta New Member

The country code for the U.S. is 1. So it would be 1 - area code- phone number. The area code is the first three digits, usually written in parenthesis, such as (815) for example. The number is the last seven digits. I hope this helps!

3. djtravels

djtravels Member

Prefix 001 or +1 to the number.

However, there is a better way. Skype. And I don't mean video chat.

You can load up skype via skype credit, and call up any landline or mobile in the US. The person receiving the call will see a Californian number (I am guessing that's where Skype has its servers) and you'll be able to talk to the person on the other side. The other person doesn't even need skype on their phone! You can also send text messages.

It's the cheapest and most reliable way to do things outside of simply using video chat's such as regular skype or hangout or something.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

There's a certain format that you need to follow in order to call your son in the US directly from India. Since you have two different numbers, one for the mobile and one for the landline, there are also two different formats for them:

Formats for Dialling US Number from India

Format for Dialling US Mobile Number from IndiaFormat for Dialling US Landline Number from India
    00 + 1 + 10 Digit Mobile Number 00 + 1 + 3 Digit Area Code + 7 Digit Landline Number

So for the first column, we have the format for dialling the US mobile number from India. Breaking down this format, we have:
    • 00 - This is the exit code for the country of India. Whenever you need to dial an international number, this code is necessary. Sometimes, it is referred to as the dial out code. This is always the first part you need to enter when dialling an international number so keep this in mind all the time.
    • 1 - This is the country code for the United States of America. Different countries have different country codes and you can easily search them online. This code enables a call to be connected to the dialled international number.
    • 10 Digit Mobile Number - At this point, you can enter the mobile number which should have 10 digits.
    So for example, this is how it should look like when you're dialling your son's US mobile number from your phone:
    • 00 + 1 + 1234567890
    Now, we go to the other column, the format for dialling the US landline number from India. Breaking down this format, we have almost the same features:
    • 00 - Again, this is the exit code for the country of India. It also precedes all the other required numbers here.
    • 1 - This is the country code for the United States of America again. It is put in between the exit code and the area code.
    • 3 Digit Area Code - This is where the city area code of whoever you're calling should be put. It is a three-digit number and you can easily find it online as well.
    • 7 Digit Landline Number - At this point, you can enter the landline number which should have seven digits.
    So, this is how it would look like when you're dialling your son's US landline number from your phone:
    • 00 + 1 + 510 + 1234567
    This area code I've included above is for Berkeley. Depending on where your son is from, this number can change and you can just ask him his area code or search for it online.

I hope this helps you!:)

5. Karan

Karan Member

The most common and simplest way these days is WhatsApp, everyone has a smartphone and everyone uses WhatsApp, of not then they use some other VOIP app. All you need is an internet connection and you can make as many calls as you like.