1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to go Bangladesh from Kolkata

Discussion in 'Bangladesh' started by Imran, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Imran

Imran New Member

I am from Kolkata and wish to travel to Bangladesh. I have no idea on what the procedure is for traveling from Kolkata to Bangladesh, so there are some important queries which I have for my travels.

• How to go Bangladesh from Kolkata?
    • What means of transport are available?
    • How long does the journey take?
    • How much would the traveling cost be from Kolkata to Bangladesh?
    • Am I required to take any specific documents of proof of ID along with me?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, @Imran!

Here's the answers to your questions:

The route you have to take is Kolkata > Dhaka > Agartala . The first route is through Kolkata to Agartala. It is about 462.3 kms and can take anywhere between 7 to 8 hours. From Dhaka to Agartala, it's about 131.6 kms which can take 2 hours. This is a round trip and will take you back to India.

Alternatively, you can take the route to Kolkata to Dhaka. There are also buses directly going to Kolkata to Agartala. It depends upon you which place you want to go to.

There are different transportation options:

• Bus. There are different bus operators travelling from Kolkata to Dhaka and from Kolkata to Agartala. We have BRTC, Shyamoli Paribahan, Suharda, TRTC, Soudia Paribahan and Shohagh Paribahan.
    • Train. There's the Indian Railway and the Bangladesh Railway.
    • Flight. There are also airplanes from India to Bangladesh, if you wish to travel via air.
    It depends, journey by bus can take as long as a day or more. Journey from the train can take anywhere between 11 to 12 hours.

The fare for buses vary depending on what type it is. But generally, it can range between Rs 270 to Rs 1,500. For trains, it can cost between Rs 1,300 to Rs 2,000.

You'd would need to obtain a transit visa when you've reached the border. You can apply for it prior to your scheduled trip or just on that day. So bring your ID, Indian visa and passport with you.

I hope this helps!