1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Better To Choose Tour Packages?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by christeen, Apr 17, 2016.

1. christeen

christeen New Member

I’m planning on a tour with my family in December vacation in South India. It was a long time since I have visited there and now I feel like I should take my family to those beautiful places. One of my friends suggested me to go for tour packages and I thought of giving it a shot. I have talked with a travel agency in India regarding this and I’m planning on to choose their South India tour package. I have not finalized on my decision. Need to make sure if this is a good idea. What is your opinion? Is it better to choose tour packages?

2. Destiny

Destiny Member

I would say that if you're travelling with your family, tour packages are a very good idea! Especially, if you're travelling with children or teenagers.

With your packages you're not going to get a personal experience the way you would just going at your own. But, tour packages are a lot safer than going at it on your own. If you have your family with you safety is the most important thing.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

This really depends on how much effort you want to put into planning and how adventurous you are as a person. If you are great at researching to help build an itinerary and love finding great deals, you should travel on your own, because you will get a better deal than a package. If you are adventurous, you will also want that freedom and flexibility to change at the drop of a hat. Maybe you meet someone and want to go on off to a different city to see a particular site. You don't have that option with a package. But it takes time and thinking to plan, whereas a package is easy, no worries. Just pay, and let them lead you through the trip. They are great for vacations where you really just want to unwind.

4. daniel john

daniel john New Member

If you're fairly certain that you'll be travelling somewhere that you are unfamiliar with, then it is definitely a wise idea to go on a tour package.

That said, the drawback is that you won't have the freedom to explore the place you're going to with as much freedom as you would if you weren't so tied down. Personally, I would be more cautious and go with the tour option, and maybe leave the exploring to areas you are more comfortable with in the future.

5. Maja

Maja Member

Tour packages are ideal if you are with a large group or travelling with your family. There's less hassle and everything, all the details are taken care of. And it's much safer of course, especially if your travelling in an unfamiliar territory. But if you want a customized tour, then I suggest you do the itinerary yourself. Just take all the necessary precautions and do an extensive research of the areas that you are planning to go to.

daniel john likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think that tour packages, as long as they're organised by a travel agent, are ideal if your travelling as a party or a family and it can take most of the stress out of planning the holiday.

The experience should be enjoyable for everyone, and with a packaged tour then all the hard work is done for you and you can just sit back and look forward to what your going to experience, rather than have to plan yourself what your doing from day to day and trying to keep everyone happy.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi! To better aid your decision, I can give you the advantages and disadvantages of tour packages.

Let's start with the advantages:

• It's hassle free and convenient. You don't need to worry about booking a hotel, a cab or your flight, the agency will do that all for you. You can just focus on enjoying your trip, which is what we all want at the end of the day.
    • You can save some money. Some tour packages come with free breakfast and other meals of the day. So instead of eating out, you can save the money instead.
    • You can meet new friends.
    And now, the disadvantages:
    • There is a lack of personalisation. You cannot make the tour fit to your wants and needs as it has to adhere by the agency's rules.
    • It isn't flexible. You need to be at a certain location at a certain time... You need to follow the schedules. You cannot eat randomly at any place you want. You would have to inform the agency for any change of plans you want.
    So with these in your mind, it's up to you whether you will choose a tour package or not. Personally, I love exploring places on my own or with just my family. We don't like relying on tour packages much because it doesn't fit our personalities. However, if you want security and safety, then tour packages are best for you. Good luck and take care!

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Hey there. While yes, I agree that travel packages are specifically designed to show you the most sights in any city, the "road less traveled" often comes with the most rewards. I have heard many stories of people just backpacking and eventually discover something completely new, making new memories along the way. Most travel packages are commercialized and are often crowded with other tourists who have signed up for the same attractions. Going on your own way may seem scary at first, but I assure you the rewards can be amazing and memorable for everyone involved. I hope you give it a try someday, I sure will do the same!

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I agree that going away and just doing your own thing, you'll probably experience more than you would on a travel package, but it all depends on the individual aswell.

If you're going to a country you haven't been to before, then a lot of people will feel more secure with a guide and a set itinerary to stick to. Maybe if you've been before and have seen all the usual tourist sights, then maybe it's time to venture out on your own, but it will all depend on if you've got that confidence to do so.