1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jammu to Srinagar by train

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Wahi, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Wahi

Wahi New Member

I will be going to Jammu from Pathankot to meet someone. My plans are to go then towards Srinagar, and I would like to know if I can go from Jammu to Srinagar by train?

What all trains are available from Jammu to Srinagar?

What train would be the best one to get?

How long would it take to reach Srinagar from Jammu by train?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Wahi! Welcome to the forum!

Srinagar isn't connected yet to mainland India although it does have its own railway station now. What most people do is take a train to reach Jammu, and from there, ride a bus or shared taxi to reach Srinagar. As of now, the Srinagar Railway Station is under construction and is expected to be completed in 2017. Once this is completed, Srinagar will have connectivity to the rest of mainland India.

An alternative would be reaching Udhampur Railway Station from Jammu. The Udhampur Railway Station is about 50 kms less from Jammu or about 234 kms from Srinagar so your journey duration is lessened a bit. So although the railway to Srinagar is not yet complete, you can take this train route instead and take a bus or shared taxi for the remainder of the journey.

Still, some others reach Udhampur Railway Station from Jammu. From Udhampur, they ride a bus or shared taxi to reach Banihal Railway Station. And from Banihal Railway Station, ride another train to reach Srinagar.

As I've mentioned, there are still no direct trains from Jammu to Srinagar. I'm going to just list these trains from the alternative stations. From Jammu to Udhampur, here are the train timings:
    • Shri Shakti Express Train No. 22461 - This departs daily from Jammu at 3:10 and arrives in Udhampur at 4:00.
    • Hemkunt Express Train No. 14609 - This departs daily from Jammu at 4:40 and arrives in Udhampur at 5:38.
    • Uttar Sampark Kranti Train No. 12445 - This departs daily from Jammu at 6:45 and arrives in Udhampur at 7:58.
    • Pathankot Junction Udhampur DMU Train No. 74909 - This departs daily from Jammu at 7:50 and arrives in Udhampur at 9:15.
    • Jammu Mail Train No. 14033 - This departs daily from Jammu at 9:40 and arrives in Udhampur at 10:50.
    From Udhampur, you can ride a shared taxi or bus to reach Srinagar directly. Or you can ride a bus to reach Banihal Railway Station. Here is one timing for the bus:
    • JKSRTC Bus - Departs from Udhampur at 08:45 and arrives Banihal at 14:00.
    Here are the train timings from Banihal Railway Station to Srinagar:
    • Banihal Baramula DEMU Train No. 74625 - This departs daily from Banihal at 6:30 and arrives in Srinagar at 8:00.
    • Banihal Baramula Fast DEMU Train No. 74619 - This departs daily from Banihal at 7:40 and arrives in Srinagar at 8:58.
    • Banihal Baramula DMU Train No. 74635 - This departs daily except Sundays from Banihal at 8:30 and arrives in Srinagar at 10:18.
    • Banihal Badgam DEMU Train No. 74637 - This departs daily from Banihal at 8:55 and arrives in Srinagar at 10:35.
    • Banihal Badgam DEMU Train No. 74627 - This departs daily except Tuesdays from Banihal at 14:45 and arrives in Srinagar at 16:25.
    • Banihal Badgam DEMU Train No. 74639 - This departs daily from Banihal at 16:20 and arrives in Srinagar at 18:10.
    From Jammu to Udhampur, you can take any of the trains I've mentioned above. These are all reserved trains so you won't have any problems getting a ticket. From Banihal to Srinagar, trains are unreserved so you might encounter some difficulties with purchasing tickets. Still, the best option is just to ride a train from Jammu to Udhampur and from Udhampur, just ride a bus to reach Srinagar.

Expect travel time to be around 10 hours or more especially if you decide to mix the train and road routes.

I hope this helps!