1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayaking in Rishikesh

Discussion in 'North India' started by Balladman, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Balladman

Balladman New Member

Hi

I am heading to Rishikesh soon and have heard a lot about river rafting and Kayaking there. I have done kayaking before, but that was in a lake with still water and it would be my first time in the river. Do you have any tips for me?
    I am really looking forward to this trip as I hear it is very beautiful and adventurous activity. I am very interested to know some first-hand experience and stories :)

2. Deven

Deven Member

Absolutely! River kayaking in Rishikesh is an exhilarating experience, and while it's different from still water, it can be even more thrilling. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your first river kayaking adventure:

Before you go:

• Choose the right trip: Rishikesh offers various rapid levels. As a first-timer on moving water, mention this when booking. Opt for a beginner-friendly route with a reputable company that prioritizes safety and provides proper instructions.
    • Gear Up: Most companies providing river kayaking trips will have all the necessary gear. However, it's a good idea to bring a rashguard or quick-drying clothes you can wear under the life jacket. Footwear with good grip like water shoes is also recommended.
    • Get in paddling shape: While kayaking isn't overly strenuous, upper body strength can be helpful. If possible, do some paddling exercises beforehand.

On the River:

• Listen to your guide: Your guide is there to ensure your safety and enjoyment. Pay close attention to their instructions regarding paddling techniques, maneuvering rapids, and safety protocols.
    • Don't be afraid to ask questions: If you're unsure about anything, don't hesitate to ask your guide. It's better to clarify doubts than make mistakes on the water.
    • Relax and enjoy the ride: The beauty of Rishikesh is undeniable. Take some time to appreciate the scenery as you navigate the river.

First-hand experience and stories:

While I can't provide my own personal experience, here are some common things people mention about their first river kayaking trip in Rishikesh:
    • The initial nervousness: It's natural to feel a bit nervous before hitting the rapids. But most people find that the guides are calming and professional, and the nervousness quickly fades into excitement.
    • The thrill of the rapids: Navigating the rapids is the highlight for many people. The feeling of conquering the white water is exhilarating!
    • The camaraderie: Many river rafting and kayaking trips are social experiences. You'll likely be paddling with others, and the shared experience creates a sense of camaraderie.
    • The stunning scenery: Rishikesh is known for its natural beauty. The white water adventure and breathtaking views make for an unforgettable trip.
    Here are some additional resources that might be helpful:
    • Reviews of Rishikesh kayaking companies on travel websites.
    • Videos on YouTube showcasing kayaking adventures in Rishikesh (be sure to focus on beginner-friendly trips).
    I hope this information helps you prepare for your kayaking trip in Rishikesh! Remember, safety is the priority, but most importantly, have fun and enjoy the adventure!