1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving Your Bags During The Day?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Delilah, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Delilah

Delilah New Member

If you are staying at a motel or lodge, is it safe to leave your bags with them during the day when you go out for sightseeing? I don't really want to carry my bags around all the time. I will be staying in India for a long time and I will have a lot of bags.

2. Travguy

Travguy Member

I always travel light so that I don't have to leave my bags anywhere and can take them along wherever I go. Besides I never face a delay caused by waiting for luggage since I never need to check in bags while boarding a flight,

3. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

In my opinion its safe because they also provide keys so that you can lock your room in order to protect your bags or other stuffs.

4. Voyager

Voyager New Member

I found this thread useful because I may need to leave my bags while I am out and need to check out the same day. I carry a lot of luggage wherever I go because I buy a lot of gifts when I am traveling and would like to bring back something nice for my friends and family.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've never found it to be a problem. If you're staying at a hotel oftentimes they'll have a safe for valuables, too - so anything particularly important to you can go in there. I always take out a travel insurance policy anyway just to be sure if anything was to be stolen that I could replace it easily.

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Well, rooms are generally safe, especially at decent hotels. A hostel will never be safe. But you should be able to always leave luggage at the front desk, as well. Still, it is better to pack light and never leave a lot of valuable laying around. If you have things like extra cameras, you can even go the extra step of wrapping them in dirty clothes and leaving them in your bags. that way if your bags are looked through, they will not locate the expensive and easily stolen goods.

7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Sure you can, but make sure the hotel you are staying at is trustworthy, and their rooms have really sturdy locks. Don't leave behind your necessities though, like your passport, wallet, credit cards, IDs, just in case. Also don't leave your phones, as they are easily taken without anyone noticing it. Be extra careful with the hotels you pick to stay at, make sure they have a secure perimeter and the area you are staying do not have a lot of history when it comes to petty theft and pickpockets. Good luck!

8. Destiny

Destiny Member

I suggest getting a room with a safe. You don't want to carry them around on you and end up getting mugged. You don't want to leave them unsecured in your hotel room. That's why I always suggest a room safe.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Whenever we travel around, we try and bring our valuables with us so that includes, wallets, gadgets and jewelries. It's just safer to bring everything with you, if you have your own handbag anyway and you won't be trekking or hiking anyway. Otherwise, you can get a room with a safety deposit box so that you can put your valuables in there. Even hotel rooms have this signage saying that you they won't be held responsible for any losses of valuable things you might have.

If it's just clothes or toiletries, it's fine to leave them on the room. I don't think anyone would have an interest in them. But for all your other valuables, it's better to bring them with you or put them in a safety deposit box. Better yet, don't bring as much jewelries or gadgets with you, leave them in your country. Just bring the necessary camera and cellphone and don't even bring jewelries apart from a watch.

Or you can try and have a lock for your luggage although that's not a guarantee that it won't be stolen. At least it's another way to make it harder for someone to steal your stuff.

I hope this helps!

10. tabby

tabby Member

I would suggest checking out the reputation of the motel/lodge you are staying at online. Feedback from other patrons can say a lot to the place you plan on staying. But ultimately when you are at the place, you are the best judge to see if it's safe enough. The locks, the room itself, and the staff may very well give tells if it's safe to leave your bags. But much like the others said, if you can pack light - then go for it. Leave the valuables to your home country. As to souvenirs, hopefully those won't interest possible burglars.

11. PerhapsIndia

PerhapsIndia New Member

I can see why you'd want to keep your stuff with you for sure. From what I've read, I don't want to trust locals pretty much anywhere in the world, but in my heart I know there's a lotta good people out there. Last night, for example, I left my bags near a church with my laptop in them, and someone went through them but just left em there. Cool stuff :D

12. CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious New Member

As it is better to be safe than sorry, the first piece of advice is to travel as light as possible and not take a lot of expensive \ non-mobile gadgets or other expensive things with you. But if there are things that you cannot carry around, it is generally acceptable to leave them in your room, especially if it has a safe. In case you are travelling cheap and believe the room won't have these facilities, it might be better to get some theft insurance for your things too.

13. iseeyou

iseeyou New Member

If it's possible to get a room with a safe then i think that would be the smartest thing to do especially if you have a lot of valuables. Having a lot of extra baggage while sightseeing for instance, can really be a pain in the butt, so if you want to get the best possible experience, then leave your things to a safe, otherwise you have to carry it around with you.