1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leh Manali Highway

Discussion in 'North India' started by chetanmaggo, Jun 11, 2016.

1. chetanmaggo

chetanmaggo New Member

I am going Leh from Delhi via Srinagar and want to come back home via Manali as the views on this route are something not to be missed.
    To be honest, one of the reasons why I opted to travel to Leh via Srinagar was because that many have mentioned that it is an easier ride to Leh than via Manali. Now thinking of going via Manali is making me quite nervous to what the road conditions and driving would be like.

I would like some input from people who have been on the Leh-Manali highway and give me an idea of exactly what the driving would be like. I would also like to see a picture of the Leh-Manali highway if anyone has one.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

This is exactly the route you're going to be taking from Manali to Leh:
    • Manali > Rohtang > Gramphu > Kokhsar > Keylong > Jispa > Darcha > Zingzingbar > Baralacha La > Bharatpur > Sarchu > Gata Loops > Nakee La > Lachulung La > Pang > Tanglang La > Gya > Upshi > Karu > Leh (vice versa if you decide to take this route from Leh to Manali as well)
    As you can guess, it won't be an easy journey. It is about 3,184 kms and can take about 47 to 50 hours of driving alone. You have to take into consideration your stopovers and of course, road conditions. It is recommended that you take the Leh to Manali route as you're going to Manali, not the other way around. Why? This way, your body can get acclimatised slowly and you get to enjoy the sceneries. Going backwards from Manali to Leh, it can be a bit of a difficult ride as you can get nauseous from the sudden descent.

The road is open about four months in a year only, from summer to May to June and during mid-October. Plan your trip during these months. The trip can be dangerous and scary but it's well worth it. Expect roads covered with rocks and gravel most of the time. There were even roads that are too steep to be passed by two vehicles. There are roads that are beside cliffs, where you get to see unlucky vehicles rusting below you.

Here's a picture of what awaits you:

roadtrip-to-leh.jpg

Good luck and take care!