1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Six Less Known Historical Places In India

Discussion in 'Destination Guides' started by Prits, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Prits

Prits Member

India is a country full of history and its amazing monuments and structures. Everyone knows about the Taj Mahal, Golden Temple, India Gate etc but there are places in India which are either less known of or not known of at all. These places are full of history and lots of information and views for you to know and see. If you are someone who is interested in the history of India then you must visit these six historical places.

Kumbhalgarh

Kumbhalgarh.jpg

Kumbhalgarh-fort.JPG

Kumbhalgarh is a Mewar fortress located in Rajsamand in the state of Rajasthan. Kumbhalgarh is a fort which would provide you with history of royalty and culture. The Kumbhalgarh is no ordinary fort like you go and see, it is a place which has 360 temples which consist of 300 being Jain temples and 60 Hindu temples, and not only this but the fort holds a wildlife sanctuary too. A lot of people visit Rajasthan yet miss out on such historical places, your next visit to Rajasthan should include the Kumbhalgarh.

Rabdentse

Rabdentse-Palace-Sikkim-India.jpg

Rabdentse is in west Sikkim and was previously the capital of Sikkim. This place is not so popular with usual tourists but more with backpackers. The monument has officially been declared as of national importance by the Archaeological Survey of India.
    Rabdentse provides eccentric views where you can see the kanchengdonga ranges, which are ruins from the Buddhist pilgrimage.

Tughlaqabad

Tughlaqabad-fort.jpg

Many have heard of Tughlaqabad which is situated in New Delhi, but not many may have been there and discovered the place. It is a place which 90% of time left behind by many tourists, where as it should be part if the major attractions in Delhi.
    There is an artificial lake which has been constructed along with embankments which are a must see. With the rest of the Delhi attractions like India Gate make Tughlaqabad a must see attraction too and you would be amazed.

Maluti Temples

Maluti-temple.jpg

Maluti temples are located in a small town in Maluti in Jharkhand and are ancient temples which are considered to be one of the top ten ruins in the world. These temples are terracotta temples and the total number is around 72. The temples portray a number of different scenes from mythology. The place is also known for the sacrifice of goats during kali pooja.

Basgo

Basgo located in Leh Ladakh is a monastery which is on the bank of a hill. At first this was a cultural and political center. Apart from the ruins Basgo is also known for the Buddha statue and murals. A palace was also built in the 15th century, and you can still see the ruins when you visit. Another must see when visiting Leh.

Bhangarh

Bhangarh is only recently becoming popular with tourists and that is because of it being known as one of the most haunted places in India. In the recent years many people have stared visited the fort but not after 5pm, when the fort is closed, due to the place being haunted. The fort is quite big and if you like seeing things in detail, then do make sure you take your trekking shoes, once at the top you would be able to see the ruins of the old village.

BadBoy likes this.

2. Deven

Deven Member

I have been to Rajasthan so many times and yet never heard of or been to Kumbhalgarh. Such places should be made more aware by the tourism board.

3. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Nice thread Prits.

could you shower some light on that bhangar place.. In discovery i saw a same place named "bhandavgarh" but i am not able to understand are both different or same..
    Even Admin uploaded his pics of "bhangar" and i posted a same question but it seems he's too busy to reply..

4. Prits

Prits Member

I have never been to Bhangarh myself and I saw Admin's pictures in the media gallery so I think Admin has been there. I hope we get a reply soon.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I have taken over this forum as Parminder (old admin and my husband) couldn't give enough time to this forum and I find myself at home here on this forum as I am a big travel enthusiast (not that he isint). I have created a new ID for him so he can post replies here too.

6. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I will write a detailed thread in a day or two. That is why I uploaded those pictures but never had a chance to sit down and write the whole thread. Will surely do it asap.

7. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

when i first saw his changed avatar something same came to my mind...

Enjoy the forum, Mrs.Chahal!

Admin likes this.
  8. Prits

Prits Member

Parminder is the place really haunted then or is it just rumors!

9. Chahal

I have posted the new thread about Bhangarh. Sorry about the delay.

I didint see any ghosts there :) I cannot verify the claims that there are ghosts there.

Check out the new thread on Bhangarh.

10. KaranSingh

KaranSingh New Member

How far is Kumbhalgarh from Jaipur?

11. Chahal

Distance between Jaipur and Kumbhalgarh is a little less then 350Kms. Kumbhalgarh is pretty close to Udaipur and Mount Abu is not that far either.

12. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

All of those places look wonderful but I think if I had to choose, I would pick either Kumbhalgarh or the Maluti Temples. It's the architecture and interesting structures that always captivate me. I'm not sure if I mentioned before on the forum that growing up I had wanted to be an architect for a while - but never followed through with it. I'm still always so interested in buildings and the way they were built and designed, maybe I should try and go back to university and study it!

13. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

I have visited the Tughlaqabad region of what is now pretty much part of NCR Delhi. The ruins of the ancient empire standing tall against a 21st century metropolitan city feels oddly strange and awe-inspiring - the side of the never ending wall of the fort that stretches alongside the Mehrauli-Badarpur road. Not to mention that the entire complex is massive. Still, you can choose your own quiet corner in this massive ruinscape and spend some quality time simply sitting and observing the view around. Curiously enough, strong breezes blow across this region almost throughout the year!

Here is a picture of the ancient city during sunset.

Tuglakabad-fort-Delhi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015
  14. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

Wow! These are some breathtaking photos. Thanks for posting such high resolution photos. These photos just do each location justice.

15. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

India is definitely on my list of places to visit when I start traveling the world. I have always heard about the Rabdentse and it's historical significance. I cannot wait to see it in person.

16. sapphire_jamie

sapphire_jamie New Member

Thank you for the information. I am more convinced now than ever that travelling to India would be great. I know of Taj Mahal. It was even featured in the movie Slumdog Millionaire. I would love to go to India with my family. However, I might have to adjust with their food. I think that Indian food is very different from ours.

17. MichelleVL

MichelleVL New Member

Oh wow! All these places are breath-taking, I would love to visit them all! The destination I would like to visit first though is Kumbhalgarh, because of its visual appeal. The second one would be Bhangarh, because of the rumors I read about it being haunted. hehehe

18. Josh

Josh New Member

I can not wait to start me plans for my trip to India! I already have several places I am interested in viewing and this thread has added a few more. I am very anxious to see the cave paintings of Bhimbetka and see the earliest known drawing of human life in India as well as the Ananthapura Lake temple, it is protected by a vegetarian crocodile that goes by the name of Babiya who is said to be over 150 years old!

19. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

These are all very beautiful places and Maluti temples are my favourite for all the facts you have stated about it. It always nice to visit not so famous sites although if you want to see all important sites in India you will need either a long vacation or to move and live there. And the culture along with history is simply amazing. Recently i took a short class about Vedas. A large texts originated in ancient India. I believe they were written in Vedic Sanskrit. The lecture was , among other things, about the fact that it is believed these texts are not form human origin. I was wandering where they are being kept and if it is possible to see them. I suppose not but still i have to ask.

20. oneself

oneself New Member

Painting a rather unique and dreamy picture, the birth of the Rosary Church, Shettihalli, dates back to the 1860s and rests on the banks of Hemavathi River near Hassan. However, do not expect to catch a full glimpse of it every time you are here. The fascinating structure built by French Missioners, is said to submerge during the rains and emerge again once the water has receded. Echoing the splendour of Gothic architecture, it is only left with its skeleton today.

21. vegito12

vegito12 Member

These historical places look amazing and it can involve a lot of walking so some people may tend to miss these areas as they could have a limit on how many places they will visit and they may go to the ones which are easy to travel around. and can be visited in a shorter time frame which will let them take photos and move on quicker. There are some haunted places in India which can mean people will stay away from them and would need to have protection to go there and may not want to take the risk as their safety can be affected, if they enter these places and the haunted places can be far away or in the jungle areas which are away from the city areas. Some of these places look amazing and can be nice to see as they are from days long gone and you can feel like what it would of been like living in the time when these places were filled with people, and busy and now there are abandoned and left behind for us to see the history.

22. Shaka

Shaka New Member

How amazing and wonderful. These are beautiful places to visit. It's a shame when you check on sites to see in India that none of these places come up. I feel like they are hiding them from tourist to visit. I wish there was a way that would tell anyone who wanted to visit India about places like this. It could make your visit there so much nicer and give you a chance to see so much more.

23. Sammie

Sammie Member

Those are beautiful photos of truly majestic views. Why are they not shown on travel sites? I love old historical places and these look like wonderful places to visit.