1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixed Couple Reactions

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ladydaydream, Jun 28, 2016.

1. ladydaydream

ladydaydream New Member

Hi there. My significant other is an Indian man, and he's taking me to India to meet his family. He's educated me on cultural cues and things to say to his family and I'm not overly nervous about it, but I was wondering what sort of reactions we would get simply being seen in public together, if any at all. Are couples of different ethnicities rare, and would we get any strange looks or comments? He assures me that it's nothing to worry about, but I was just wondering about what the general consensus was.

2. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

I think when it comes to mixed couples in India, there isn't much you should be worried about. In fact, Indians sort of adore it and find it very fascinating when one of them marries someone from another country especially Caucasian ones. With that said, there's nothing to be worried about. However, there's a wide cultural divide between you and the person you married so have you definitely should take note of these differences to avoid embarrassing yourself.

3. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

Strange looks should the least of your worries. Everywhere in the world interracial marriages are getting to be more and more common and people are getting used to seeing mixed couples all the time. But as Danny Luke points out the cultural difference should be your primary concern so you inadvertently don't do or say something which might offend your hosts.

4. cardinals27

cardinals27 New Member

I don't think you should have a problem with that. I think you might get a weird look or two but for the most part you will be fine

5. Blue Betta

Blue Betta New Member

It depends on where you go, such as a big city versus a rural area. Some places are more used to westerners than others. He probably told you about this, but do avoid PDAs while you are there, even something as small as holding hands. Again, this is probably more of a rural versus city thing, but in general women and men don't really touch. It might also be easier to say that you are married if strangers ask, especially if you two are out alone.

6. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

My aunt, who is 80 now, is British and has been living hare for more than 50 years now. Yes, people look at you differently in the beginning but its all very funny and enjoyable. Once you get friendly with your in-laws and neighbors, there is no place better than India. Its a different culture and it also depend upon how you adapt to it.

7. djtravels

djtravels Member

There shouldn't be a problem, unless you go to some really small village or something. Even there, I don't think that should be a problem.

I would focus more on just getting through the ordeal that is meeting all the relatives. But, if they've moved away from their family, you won't even face that ordeal anymore.