1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Kerala Beaches

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by Anup1977, Jun 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Anup1977

Anup1977 New Member

I will on holiday in North Kerala during the month of November. Now Kerala is full of beaches, and like any other place you are going to find a variety beaches like the ones to avoid to the ones which are the best.

I need some help in finding out about the North Kerala beaches, from which I can then decide what ones to visit and where to book my accommodation.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Beaches in North Kerala are not particularly favorite among the tourists. I am not sure why is it so, but personally I find the North Kerala beaches more appealing than the famous ones down South. South Kerala beaches have traditionally been the hotspot for beach vacations. Trivandrum, Kochi, Kovalam - all these South Kerala beaches are immensely popular with the tourists. As a result, these are always crowded and in thick of tourist activities. On the other hand, North Kerala beaches are relative lesser developed in terms of tourist facilities. But they are more scenic, less crowded and untouched by commercialization. That's the reason why I prefer visiting the beaches in North Kerala more often.

Here are a few amazing beach destinations in North Kerala that are worth paying a visit to.

Kannur: I have been to many beaches in North Kerala. Among them, Kannur's Kizhunna beach is a favorite of mine. This golden sandy beach edged by lush green palm groves is surprisingly devoid of tourists. Thottada beach in another scenic beach in Kannur. Then you have the popular drive-in beach of Muzhappilangad, where you can drive along the sea for a long stretch of 4 KM. Driving along the beach with the waves kissing the under-belly of your car is an experience to cherish. There are a few more beaches in Kannur like the Payyambalam beach and Meenkunnu beach, making it a great beach holiday destination in North Kerala.

Thrissur: Thrissur is another beautiful beach town in North Kerala. It has two pristine beaches in Chavakkad and Snehatheeram. There is no water sports available here, but the combination of sea and sand, alongwith the tasty Malabar cuisines, are enough to amaze the tourists. So yeah, make sure to taste the delicious Malabar sea-food that Thrissur is famous for.

Kasargod: Next in line is Kasargod. It is situated next to the Karnataka-Kerala border. Kasargod is a beach-cum-backwater destination. Both Manjeshwar beach and Kappil beach are very scenic and ideal for basking under the glorious sunshine. The historical Bekal Fort is not very far from Kasargod. In case you don't know, it is here that the famous 'Tuhi Re' song from the movie 'Bombay' was shot. Pallikere beach is another magnificent place to explore here. Then there is always the prospect of some fun in the Thekkekadu backwaters surrounding the town. All in all, Kasargod is a great choice if you are looking for a quiet ambience with lots of things to do.

Neeleshwar: It is more or less a hidden beach destination for the tourists outside Kerala. This little beach hamlet is particularly attractive to the offbeat tourists. It has a lazy, laid-back elegance. The sea is surprisingly calm here, making it an ideal place for swimming. Neeleshwar also has a network of backwaters, where you can go for a cruise in a country boat. If you are looking for an idyllic spot to relax and rejuvenate, then Neeleshwar can be the right choice for you.

Regards,
    Deb