1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pakodas

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by JoJo, Jan 26, 2016.

1. JoJo

JoJo New Member

Pakodas look very good. I found them while researching the uses of curry in India. There is no curry in pakodas and they look much like our fried onion rings here in the states. If anyone has tasted both, please tell me the differences. Thank you!

2. Nita

Nita New Member

After reading your post I had to search for Pakodas. They do look delicious and sound very good. I wouldn't mind trying them when I visit India. I am not much for fried foods, but these do look tempting.

3. swalia

swalia Guest

Pakodas are delicious. They are generally served hot with chutney or sauce. Hot pakodas with tea or coffee during winters or rainy days are simply awesome. However if you are calorie conscious or don't like fried food then pakodas are not for you.
    They are somewhat similar to fried onion rings except that the pakodas can be made using onion, potatoes, spinach, cauliflower , green chillies etc.

4. violet

violet New Member

Are they just breaded onions? I love onion rings but I usually pay for it afterwards. They can be made with potatoes, spinach cauliflower and chilies? Is it a mixture of these things together with the onions?

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I had no idea of this food before reading this thread! I actually thought maybe someone meant pagoda as in the building rather than pakoda.

Now that I know about them, I would definitely want to try them! They sound delicious!

6. Rita P

Rita P New Member

Well, pakodas are much spicier! Check the spices before you eat any Indian food because it could be really hot. I have seen many visitors nearly burn their tongues with hot food while the're in India. Also, pakodas could be made with various stuffings not just onions.

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

pakoda can be made from vegetables (cabbage, onion, potato,spinach) as well as chicken. Pokada is vegetable/chicken pieces mixed on chickpea batter and fried in oil. Onion pakoda tastes like onion rings.

8. Aurora

Aurora New Member

I love Pakodas and so far I have only tasted the onion ones. They are so tasty and, although they are similar to onion rings, I think they taste better.

9. Neve

Neve New Member

I have never heard of Pakodas before, so I did a search on Google and they sound yummy. If they are similar to onion rings, I guess they will be easy to make too, right? I will probably look for a recipe online and hopefully will be able to find all the ingredients to try it.

10. Pakodas are very popular as a tea snack in India. They are made with various kinds of stuffings, but the most popular ones are the onion pakoras. Other stuffings are green chillies and boiled potato. I prefer boiled potato pakodas over onions ones, but that's just me I guess.

11. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

Pakodas are delicious. Be careful of coming across one with a green chilli inside unawares, though. Even prepared that can be quite a shock for your tongue. What onion rings are like differs from place to place, obviously, but I'd say that as a general rule, pakodas are lighter than the onion rings you get in the US. The batter is lighter, and thinner. It's the same principle, though.