1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography in Khajuraho Temples

Discussion in 'Central India' started by KK, May 29, 2015.

1. KK

KK Member

I want to go to Khajuraho to take pictures of the sculptures and temples there, but I need some confirmation whether photography is allowed there or not. A lot of places have stopped photography and some charge a lot of money, so before I make my trip I need to get the correct information regarding the photography issue.
    Many thanks forum members.

2. Deven

Deven Member

Some temples allow photography but majority of them do not allow it, as the flashes on the cameras ruin the sculptures. Some time ago photography was allowed but with time the condition of the sculptures were deteriorating so photography was stopped from further damage to them.

3. AbhayNarang

AbhayNarang New Member

Unfortunately photography is not allowed of the sculptures, which is a great disappointment and shame as it would be good to capture the art in photos especially if you have gone to Khajuraho to see the sculptures.

4. KK

KK Member

That is such a shame that photography is not allowed, I take it that it is a recent rule which has been applied?

5. Prits

Prits Member

Only seen in photos the temples and sculptures look amazing, would it be too hot to visit Khajuraho in July?

6. RahulSai

RahulSai New Member

Since when did photography get stopped at the temples, this was on my list of places to go and visit....:(

7. Shitish

Shitish New Member

I was lucky enough to visit Khajuraho when photography was allowed, it is a great shame especially for those who like taking photos. I think that photography has been stopped from the past 3-4 years. The flash on the camera was apparently ruining the sculptures.

KK likes this.
  8. JaiPatra

JaiPatra New Member

I feel so gutted that I was not able to take any pictures of the temple sculptures as my interest in photography has only started recently. Although I have been to Khajuraho and seen the sculptures, capturing the images in camera is a different thing.

9. KK

KK Member

Would you guys recommend any other similar places where photography is allowed?

10. Shiv

Shiv Member

You can always take photos outside of the temple which also have the sculptures on them as well, it would still be some thing which is better than nothing. I think there may be some small temples where you are able to take photos, so if you are visiting Khajuraho it would be a good idea to research about the temples there and try your luck with taking photos, obviously by asking someone there!

11. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

From the website of the Archaeological Survey of India, they do allow photography in the protected monuments, which include the Khajuraho Groups of Temples. This is what is stated in their website:

"One can take photograph of any protected monument. One is not authorize to bring camera stand, extra lights, or any such appliance."​

So you can take pictures provided that you don't use tripods, monopods or any other accessories for your camera. The rule is: nothing attached to the camera can touch the ground. And if it does, you can get in trouble. Also, you cannot take pictures of any archaeological sites where work is on-going or in renovation.

Now, for videography, here is their rule on it:

"One can undertake video filming from exterior of a protected monument provided it is for non-commercial purpose and does not involve any cast and use of a stand or in any way interfere with customary and religious practices and work. For undertaking video filming in the monuments which are specified in the Second Schedule and where entrance fee is charged video-filming shall be permitted on payment of Rs. 25."​

So again, video taking is allowed as well outside the monument and for a set fee. And you cannot use tripods, monopods or any stands at all.

You can be granted permission for your camera accessories or for filming in the temple once you obtained the permission of the Archaeological Officer.

Specifically, here are the restrictions when it comes to camera use:
    • You cannot bring into or use camera accessories like a stand, stool, chair, table, drawing board, essel or such appliances.
    • You cannot put any scaffolding within the area.
    • You cannot use artificial lighting except the flash within the camera itself.
    • You cannot apply oil, water, grease or any other material in the monument.
    • You cannot prepare a direct tracing or mould of the monument except when you're granted permission.
    Additionally, there were instances that some individuals used drones to capture the Khajuraho Temples. These individuals were arrested and their drones were confiscated. But once the pictures and videos were deleted, they were let go. So that's another restriction, in case anyone is thinking about using drones within the temples.

I hope this helps!

12. Neha567

Neha567 New Member

Oh no please don't say that no photography is allowed.....this one place I have been wanting to visit for many years but never had the chance. I have only seen the sculptures and temples on TV or on the net, and since I have seen them I have wanted to visit the place and personally take pictures.
    I am really hoping that this no photography law has been changed!

13. Karan

Karan Member

No way, how true is this?

Same here, I had only ever heard of the place and always wanted to visit, so until I'm sure of this news 100% don't think I would travel there. But I'm hoping that photography would soon be allowed there.

14. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

Actually, taking pictures are allowed. What's restricted are the camera accessories. Maybe because they are bulk items.