Places to Eat in Pondicherry

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by ShaliniArmaan, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ShaliniArmaan

ShaliniArmaan New Member

I will be in Pondicherry with my husband and two sons in October. We have all the transport and accommodation sorted out. The one thing where we always go wrong is with food. I have heard and seen programs showing the amazing food served in Pondicherry. Unfortunately, I did not take note of the food places.

I would like some help with places to eat in Pondicherry.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Pondicherry is also known as the "Little France of India." Why? Because various colonial rulers have left their marks on this little town. Even in the cuisines, you'll find some traces of Portuguese, French and English influence. But of course, there's still an influence of traditional Indian cuisine in some eateries here. Here's a list of some eateries around Pondicherry that you must try:

Restaurants
    • Tanto Pizzeria. They have Italian cuisine and as the name suggests, their specialty is pizza. They say that this restaurant has the best wood fire-cooked pizzas in Pondicherry. Try out their Formagi Pizza, they also have a variety of other vegetarian pizzas. Location is at Main Road, Near Iyyanar Koil Kullapalyam, Auroville, Puducherry.
    • Carte Blanch. This has French cuisine and they are best known for their great tasting Prawns. They also have a wide variety of wines you can choose from. Location is at Hotel De L'Orient, 17, Rue Romain Rolland, White Town, Puducherry.
    • Le Dupleix. They have a combination of French, North Indian and Continental cuisines. Try out their Ravioli Con Funghi and Trio Chicken Tikka. Location is at 5, Caserne Street, Puducherry, 605001.
    • Appachi. They have Chettinad cuisine and their specialty are seafood dishes. They are one of the few restaurants in Pondicherry offering traditional Indian food to customers. Aside from that, customers loved their simple and minimalistic design in the restaurant. Try out their Crab Masala or Prawn Pepper Fry. Location is at 9, Rangapillai Street, MG RoadArea, MG Road, Puducherry.
    Cafes
    • Cafe Des Arts. The first you would notice is the artistic design of this cafe. It's the perfect place to have some snacks or read a book. Try out their waffles, crepes and lattes. Location is at 10, Suffren Street, White Town, Pondicherry.
    • Rendezvous Cafe Restaurant. Lots of cuisines to choose from: Goan, Mangalorean, Continental and French. They're famous for their seafood dishes. Location is at 30, Rue Suffren, White Town, Puducherry.
    • Cafe Ole. They have Continental cuisine aside from the Cafe. They're probably best known for their variety of sandwiches. Try out their Willy Wonka Sandwich. Location is at 319, Mission Street, MG Road, Puducherry.
    Bakeries
    • Bon Bakes. Try out their cakes, breads, cookies and French bread. Location is at 18, Rangapillai Street, Opposite BSNL Head Office, MG Road, Puducherry.
    • Baker Street. They have freshly baked breads that invite you inside once you smell them. Try out their croissants and twisters. Location is at 123, Bussy Street, MG Road, Puducherry.
    Enjoy!