1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places To See Around Coonoor

Discussion in 'South India' started by DaisyJaiswal, Feb 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DaisyJaiswal

DaisyJaiswal New Member

I will be visiting Ooty for the second time and this time, I would like to go and visit Coonoor. My last visit to Ooty was not much of a success as I had not planned my trip properly and ended up making double journies to places, which cost me more on transport as well.
    I have a list of places I would like to visit and just need help in planning the order they should be visited and any other information which is necessary.
    The list of places I would like to visit in Connoor are:

Wellington Army Barracks
    SIMS Park
    Ketti Valley
    Dolphins Nose
    Connoor Golf Links

Please list any additional places which should be visited incase I have missed out anything.

katiejean990 likes this.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

You have covered most of the interesting places to visit in Coonoor in your list. However, having visited Coonoor thrice, I would like to make a few additions -

Catherine Waterfalls - A beautiful 250 feet high double-cascading waterfalls formed by the Kollar River. Located in a scenic backdrop. You can get a hawk-eye view of the falls from Dolphin's Nose view-point. It is possible to get to the base o the falls. but you need to trek for a few kilometers from the nearest village.

Needle Rock View Point - A strange needle-shaped rock formation on top of a hill. Go here to catch awesome views of the Nilgiri mountain ranges.

Wellington Lake - A lovely lake in a quiet environment. Boating is possible here. Light-&-Sound show in the evening is an added bonus.

Droog Fort - Once a stronghold of Tipu Sultan, now mostly in ruins. Situated at an elevation of over 6000 feet, the place is known to offer some breathtaking views of the surrounding hill ranges. It is a popular trekking destination in Coonoor.

Rallia Dam - This dam was constructed during the British Raj. An excellent picnic spot tucked away amidst the forests between Coonoor and Kotagiri. There's no boating facility but it is a great place to enjoy the scenic beauty of nature.

Kotagiri - A beautiful yet lesser-known hill station surrounded by tea plantations. Elk Falls is a popular tourist attraction here. If you are interested in trekking, then Kotagiri to Kodanad View Point is a very scenic trekking trail. Just 17 KM away from Coonoor, Kotagiri is worth paying a visit to. For more details about Kotagiri, you may refer to this Kotagiri Travel Guide.

If time permits, then make sure to visit one of the tea gardens around Coonoor to get a first-hand experience of the process of tea production. I would recommend visiting the Highfield Tea Factory or Brooklands Tea Estate for this amazing 'tea tour'.

Regards,
    Deb

katiejean990 likes this.

3. katiejean990

katiejean990 New Member

This is an incredible list! I'm really intrigued by the Catherine Waterfalls and will definitely be checking this out! What are the tea gardens? Are you able to sample teas there or is it a strict tour of the facility? Thanks! :)

I am totally "googling" the "Dolphin's Nose" attraction! ;) That's interesting that you mention that you made "double trips." Does this mean that you planned tours that basically took you to many of the same places?

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

Here's a possible itinerary for you for the places you want to visit:

Day 1. Arrive at Coonoor. Check in at your hotel and have some lunch. Then, visit the following places in this order:
    • Sims Park. This is just one minute away from the city of Coonoor so it comes first in the list. It covers an area of about 12 hectares and is almost a hundred years old already. It is about 1,780 meters above sea level and has great climate conditions as well. You can see Shola Trees all around as if they're guiding your pathway in the park. Inside the park, there's also a glass house for ornamental plants as well as a rose garden in another part of the park.
    • Wellington Army Barracks. This one is about 3.1 kms from Coonoor, a bit further away from the Sims Park. It is located in the Nilgiris District of Tamil Nadu.
    • Coonoor Golf Links. Just nearby the Defence College of Wellington, you'll find the Golf Links. It's a great place for walking around and just enjoying the sceneries.
    • Dolphins Nose. This is about 10 kms away from Coonoor. It is so named because its peak resembles a dolphin's nose. From the top, you can view the Catherine Falls.
    • Ketti Valley. This one is about 13.4 kms from Coonoor and can take anywhere between 30 to 45 minutes to reach. This is the last valley en route to Coonoor. There's not much to see here though because it hasn't been maintained as much. The fauna here isn't as many unlike other valleys.
    Day 2. Explore these other places in Coonoor:
    • Law's Waterfalls. Just about 7 kms away from Coonoor, it's a great place to have a picnic.
    • Lamb's Rock. This is about 8 kms from Coonoor, a few kms before Dolphins Nose. This is a famous tourist spot because it provides views of the Coimbatore Plains.
    • Lady Canning's Seat. Just 9 kms away from Coonoor, this is a great place to view tea estates and plantations in the Nilgiris.
    • Katary Waterfalls. This is the 3rd largest waterfall in Nilgiris, about 180 feet in height. This is 10 kms from Coonoor.
    • Droog Fort. About 15 kms away from Coonoor, you'll find the Droog Fort. This was used by Tipu Sultan in the 18th Century. The fort is in ruins now though and only one wall remains.
    There you go. You can alter your itinerary as well since I gave the distances between each place anyway. I just arranged Day One according to your own places you provided us. But if you'd be travelling to Coonoor in just one day, then you can fit the places in Day Two in Day One as well. Just remove places that don't interest you. I hope this helps!