1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to visit near Amritsar

Discussion in 'Punjab' started by Lawrie304, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Lawrie304

Lawrie304 New Member

Hi

I will be going to Amritsar to visit Golden Temple, I would like to know which other places can I visit nearby, I heard about Pinjor palace and Patiala palace, can somebody tell me how far they are from Amritsar and are they worth visiting?

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Patiala is atleast 150km from Amritsar if I remember correctly. You can also go to Wagah border for the evening retreat ceremony at the border with Pakistan. It is less then half an hours drive from Amritsar.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Amritsar is known for its food joints. There are plenty of places to eat around the Golden temple complex and also the good old Langar at the temple itself is one of its kind. I love the dal they serve there.

Dont miss the world famous Amritsari fish and Amritsari naan.

4. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

These are some places in and around Amritsar that you may consider visiting :

Wagah border
    Jallianwala bagh
    Durgiana Mandir
    Ram Bagh (Maharaja Ranjit sing's garden dedicated to the Sikh Guru, Guru Ram Das)
    Ram Tirath (This is where Lav and Kush the twin sons of Lord Ram and Sita were born and is an important Hindu pilgrimage place)
    Bhangiyan da qila (A fort of historical importance)
    Faridkot fort is a bit further away from Amritsar but worth visiting for its historical importance.

If you have more time then there are plenty of hill stations that are not too far from Amritsar like Dharamshala, Dalhousie etc which make a good destination in summers if you want to get away from the heat for a few days and even in winters it is good to see some snow.

I hope this helps.

5. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Jallian wala bagh is not going to interest you much if you do not know about what happened there so a quick read about the history is highly recommended.
    @ChaiNashta I had no idea Luv and Kush were born at Amritsar. I wonder why Amritsar does not get many Hindu pilgrims or may be it does and I don't have a clue but to be honest Ive never heard any one say I am going for a holy visit to Ram Tirath or anything remotely related to that. May be not many people know about it hence the lack of interest.

6. KaranSingh

KaranSingh New Member

Amritsar itself is a place where there is so much to see, from the modern side, to the traditional side to even the religious side. I would say there is not much to see in Amritsar or the places near by as it is mostly full of Gurudwara's (Sikh temple), but it is a place to visit especially when it comes to food lovers.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Amristar is a major pilgrimage destination for Sikhs primarily because of the numerous temples and shrines dedicated to their beliefs. Tourism is a major industry here as well as other industries like handicrafts and carpets. The main character of Amritsar is its uniquely built structures with a Katras style of architecture. Its narrow streets also stand out. Here are some of the best tourist attractions in Amritsar:

Within Amritsar
    • Jallianwala Bagh. This is located nearby the Golden Temple. There is a Jallianwala Bagh memorial located in here which was built to commemorate the massacre of the peaceful Sikh celebrators.
    • Akal Takht. This translates to "The Throne of the Almighty" or "The Throne of the Timeless One." This is considered part of the 5 Takhts of the Sikh religion. Built by Guru Hargobind Ji, this symbolises a form of rebellion or opposition against the tyrant colonisers.
    • Harike Wetland and Bird Sanctuary. The wetland is a combination of both a lake and a river, which is why it's unique. You can find the Harike Lake further inside the wetland.
    • Gurudwara Sri Tarn Taran Sahib. Built by Guru Arjan Dev, this gurudwara has the largest pond out of all the gurudwaras.
    • Wagah Border. Witness the ceremony here happening everyday at 4:30 or 5:15 pm.
    • Hanuman Mandir. A temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman and it is believed that your wishes will be granted once you visit this place.
    • Hall Bazaar. Take some souvenir home courtesy of this bazaar that has it all, from clothes, ornaments to accessories.
    Near Amritsar
    • Ludhiana. This is about 141 kms from Amritsar. It is fondly known as the Manchester of India because of the various knitwear factories available here. Places to visit here are: Nehru Gardens, Rakh Bagh, Tiger Safari, Hardy's World Amusement Park and Phillaur Fort.
    • Haryana. This is about 360 kms from Amritsar but this is where you can find the Pinjore Gardens you were asking about. You can also visit some Mughal gardens here.
    • Patiala. This is about 234 kms from Amritsar but this is where the Quila Mubarak Palace is located. It's the one you asked about, the Patiala Palace. You can also visit the Sheesh Mahal and the Baradari Gardens here.
    I hope this helps!