1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi To Amritsar

Discussion in 'North India' started by Metz, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Metz

Metz New Member

I'm in Delhi for 2 weeks in June and I have got the trip planned quite well according to an itinerary which I have created that includes visiting all the tourist sites, religious places and of course the famous eateries. I have also fitted in a day trip to Taj Mahal. In case you are wondering why I have not included Jaipur for the Golden Triangle it is because I have been to Jaipur before but just had enough time to be only there for a wedding then had to head back home.

I have left around 4-5 days free in between going to places, so that it would give me a break and I can maybe fit in something which I will know about later on, which is quite good as my family now insist I should go to my hometown Amritsar, visit the place and pay my respects to the popular Golden Temple.

Now this is where I need help from someone who has first done a trip from Delhi to Amritsar and knows exactly what has to be seen and done there and give a good estimate of the days which would be required for this additional trip to Amritsar. Once I find out I need to rearrange things in my itinerary accordingly and put some free days together. Please include how I should reach Amritsar from Delhi and also places to stay there.
    Apparently Amritsar food is the best, so please don't forget the famous places to eat, as I am big food lover myself.

2. Deven

Deven Member

There are four options for you to travel from Delhi to Amritsar:
    • By car which would take you a minimum of 10 hours to reach depending on the time, you leave from Delhi, the traffic as well as a number of times you stop.
    • By train which would take you 6 hours and 25 minutes, this would be a good and easy journey, do take note if you have a lot of luggage you will have to get a porter to take your luggage up to the train with you, as the platform maybe a bit of a distance away.
    • By bus from the airport would take you 9 hours and 30 minutes. These are the Indo-Canadian buses which are the most comfortable and leave from the airport itself.
    • By flight would be the fastest way to reach Amritsar, and would take you about an hour to reach, so it is the quickest mode of transport.
    If you don't want to spend too much on travel, then I would suggest you travel by train or bus, and these two ways of transport will enable you to reach Amritsar in a reasonable time. However if you have no issues with money then by all means travel by flight, it is the quickest and best way to reach Amritsar.

The main places to visit in Amritsar are as mentioned the Golden Temple. Other than this you must visit the Jallianwala Bagh, Ram Bagh, Wagah Border (which should not be missed), Durgiana Temple, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum.
    When it comes to food, there are so many places where you can eat and after one stop I am sure you would just want to stay in Amritsar just to indulge in the food there.
    Amritsar is famous for its fish dishes, and they are known as Amritsari fish dishes, and you should go to Makhan Fish and Surjit FoodPlazaa to try their fish dishes.
    You must also try the Amritsari kulcha which you can have at Kulcha Land. There are also many dhabas in Amritsar, which serve the best dal tadkas and dal fry which are also a must try and don't forget to try the atta chicken from Manmeet Chicken.

Overall I think good 2-3 days would be good to stay in Amritsar to see everything and taste all of the Amritsar delicacies.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi! Here are the answers to your questions:

1. How can you reach Amritsar from Delhi?

• You can travel by train, which is the most recommended way to travel to Amritsar from Delhi. The Shatabdi Express has several trains that alight to Amritsar.
    • You can also travel by car or by cab which can take about six hours.
    2. What are some places to stay in Amritsar?
    • For budget accommodations, try the Asha Guesthouse, the Hotel Sita Continental or the Jugaadus Eco Hostel.
    • For mid-range accommodations, try Hotel Le Golden, Hotel Heritage Inn or Hotel Indus.
    • For luxury hotels, try Grand Legacy, Green Acres Haveli or Ritz Plaza.
    3. What are some restaurants that are must-tries?
    • The Brothers Dabba. Try out their Amritsari Kulcha, yum!
    • Neelam's. Offers some pizza and other basic meals.
    • New Punjabi Rasoi. Offers authentic Indian cuisines.
    • Bubby Dhaba. Offers Punjabi meals at an affordable price.
    4. How many days to allot for visiting Amritsar?
    • I think two to three days would be enough to visit the tourist destinations in Amritsar.
    5. Other places worth visiting:
    • Jallianwala Bagn/Garden
    • Mata Temple
    • Summer Palace of Maharaja Ranjit Singh
    I hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Admin likes this.