1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proteins In Indian Food

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Dina, Jan 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dina

Dina New Member

I will be travelling to India in June this year for a tour of the entire country along with my friends. One of my friends is on a protein diet and wished to know what Indian foods are protein rich so that she could include them in her diet when she is in India.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Egg whites? There is tofu and cottage cheese (Paneer), chicken and a lot of other stuff. Your friend could also bring some whey protein powder as that would be a more readily available source of protein while your friend is traveling.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Lentils are a good source of protein. They also have the typical meats available. I know Goa has a good selection of fish, as well. You should be able to get lamb, chicken, goat, beef pretty much anywhere you go. It might be harder to get pork products, but they are also available. Eggs work, too. How strict is the diet? Like only meat? It might be more difficult, since that is not a normal thing to cook. But you could always go with tandoori.

4. gamer2x

gamer2x New Member

We have lentils in the form of "Dal". Whenever you order any meal whether it is through railway catering or through another restaurant, you would be able to get "Dal" in various types and you can have it with chapati, which is made of wheat.

Dal chapati is like the staple food all over India. Avoid the Naan or kulcha (Indian bread types) along with Dal because they just contain flour and that too half cooked.

Dal and sometimes Rajma(another form of lentils) would see you through most of the trip and give you enough protein.

In addition to that off course, eggs and other animal products, would provide you with lot of protein.

5. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Those in the South cannot live without their idlis and dosas for breakfast and part of the ingredients is black gram dal. Black gram has the highest amount of protein with no cholesterol. I cannot understand how my mother knew about it as in those days there was no Internet for her to learn about black gram dal having the most amount of protein. And yes even tur dal is rich too but tur dal preparations are normally made for lunch or dinner.
    Eggs is not typically Indian but there is mingling and mixing with the world cuisine. Why not anyway?
    Your friend will have loads of protein rich foods awaiting here in India.