1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rajasthan tour for novices

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by MiaMia, Jan 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MiaMia

MiaMia New Member

Hi

We are 2 Spanish girls in our mid 20's travelling in India for a month and have booked a prepaid tour to explore Rajasthan, but now after checking several websites and reviews we think the price which we have paid is a total rip off. Now we are considering cancelling the tour package from this operator and travel on our own. Can you help us understand how difficult it would be for 2 novices.
    We already have the itinerary in our email (sent by the tour operator) and we can follow it as per plan.
    The only concern which we have is our transportation and accommodation. Can you help us with that?

MiaMia

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

It is easy to find a taxi if that is what you mean and if you want to use public transport there are plenty of buses that go to Rajasthan from Delhi and even trains. It would be a lot cheaper to hire a taxi once you get to India. Some websites have prices that are more then double the going rates.

For hotels you can either book online using a portal like booking.com which in my view would be a good place to start. You can even ring hotels directly to see if they can give you a better deal directly.

3. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

Tour packages are a big no no especially when you have plenty of time. I would go for a package tour if I was short on time but not otherwise. For two people a small hatch back taxi would be more then enough and those are very cheap even if you want to keep the taxi for the whole duration you would be spending very little money and having a driver to drive you around every where even while you are at your destination is an added plus and well worth the money. Hotels are best booked online for atleast one initial night and then next day you could go around and look for a more suitable place and also bargain for better prices.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There are lots of transportation options in Rajasthan, being a popular tourist attraction in India. It is well-connected to other states via train and buses. For example:
    • Rajasthan is well-connected to cities like Delhi and Mumbai. Overnight trains to major cities in Rajasthan like Jaipur and Udaipur can be reached this way. With smaller cities though, it can take longer than one day.
    • Rajasthan can also be reached from other cities through buses. Luckily, there are state buses and private buses operating from cities like Delhi and Mumbai to cities like Jaipur, Udaipur and others in Rajasthan. State buses from RSRTC are probably the cheapest option and they have a variety of buses you can choose from. Private bus operators are plenty as well through different sites.
    When it comes to touring Rajasthan and local transportation in different cities, you have options as well:
    • Taxis are easily available in most towns and cities in Rajasthan. You can hire a taxi for a whole day as well for a negotiable price.
    • Cycle Rickshaws are great for covering short distances within a town or city. Auto Rickshaws serve the same purpose.
    • In smaller towns, you'll find Tongas which are basically carriages drawn by horses. It's great to experience riding this even just once in your life.
    • Jeeps are also a major mode of transportation in Rajasthan.
    • Buses also travel from one city to another. You'll find at least one bus station in each city.
    Accommodation-wise, there's also plenty in Rajasthan. I don't know which places in Rajasthan you're going to visit though. But here's a few that I can recommend:

1. Jaisalmer
    • Hotel Akashdeep. A great budget hotel in the city, complete with amenities and ensures a comfortable stay for its guests. They also offer transportation options for desert safaris for their guests: jeep and camel safaris. They also have a rooftop restaurant with a great view of the city. Rates start at Rs. 800 per night.
    2. Udaipur
    • Dayal Hotel. This is very near certain attractions in the city. Rooms are very simple but has complete amenities. You can even rent a car here for sightseeing. Rates start at Rs. 2,348 per night.
    3. Bikaner
    • Hotel Jaswant Bhawan. Another hotel located right at the heart of Bikaner. Their cheapest room is at Rs. 1,200 and it's a very comfortable and clean one. They also offer camel safaris for their guests.
    4. Jodhpur
    • Hotel Kiran Vilas. Located very near to attractions in the city as well. Their room rates start at Rs. 2,700, which is a bit higher but their services are well-worth it as well as the amenities provided.
    I hope this helps! Let me know if you need more details about hotels! Good luck!