1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restaurant When Visiting The Taj Mahal

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Codygr89, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

What is a fantastic restaurant to eat at while im visiting the Taj Mahal?

It can be up to an hour away but I want something that serves authentic traditional Indian food! Price isn't really an issue as long as it is authentic!

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

If you want local traditional food while you are at Agra then go to DasaPrakasha restaurant at Taj gang. Every taxi driver would know where that is. It is a vegetarian restaurant. I am not much of a fan of that place myself but for the dishes they server I believe they are one of the best.

I personally like going to "Mama Frankie" at Sadar bazaar (Near cantonment area) in Agra where they serve all kinds of kebabs and other meat and chicken dishes. That places only opens in the evening and is always crowded. There is no seating arrangement but they have those tall tables where you can just stand and have your food. It is a road side stall not a restaurant if that matters.

Other then that there are good restaurants at every five star property in Agra which serve different cuisines including authentic Indian dishes if you prefer posh restaurants.

3. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

Thanks for the detailed response Chahal! Mama Frankie sounds good, I'm not exactly a vegetarian that's for sure so DasaPrakasha probably won't be for me.

I'm use to road side stall type places so that will be fine :). I'll keep my eyes peeled when I'm there maybe I might find a hidden gem of a restaurant. Small family run businesses seem to be the best anyway :)

4. Chahal

There is also one Pizza hut and this one serves beer as well, probably the only one that has license to serve alcoholic beverages in India. That is the only Pizza hut I have seen that serves beer. The same street has a few other Indian restaurants aswell and there is a Costa coffee right next to it. Parking is a bit of a problem there.

Just so you know, people dont stop at traffic lights in Agra and the only time when you would see people stopping is when there is a police vehicle parked at the traffic lights but even then you would see some motor bikes just zooming past the police guys :)

5. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

lol @ the Pizza Hut reply. i doubt I will find myself ordering pizza, though they would have a different menu wouldn't they?

I've heard all about the traffic in India. Sounds to me like they could use some cameras on traffic lights that take photos of people running them like in other places in the world.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

When a person as asked for a place that serves authentic Indian cuisine, I have to admit I wasn't expecting to read pizza hut in the comments, but having said that, the fact they serve beer might be a slight temptation!

Visit the Taj Mahal, then nip into pizza hut, and then Costa coffee on the way home, sounds like a very authentic day out...Just assuming that you don't get run over on your way that is!

Chahal likes this.
  7. Chahal

Ha ha ha Nice catch, I completely forgot OP had asked for authentic Indian restaurant. I did reply with an option in my first reply but then came back to read the reply and forgot what this thread was about. I mentioned Pizza hut because that is one place I go to every time I am in Agra as they serve beer and I like their fish fingers.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

Haha! Chahal just becuase of that post I will 100% visit Pizza Hut and even take a picture in your remembrance! lolol

Honestly though I'm not trying to go to many Chain restraunts , I rather find a locally owned, family made business. Like I said, they tend to be the best!

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Is there a McDonald's there aswell maybe? Haha. Seriously though when I travel to other countries I also prefer to eat at the local restaurants and experience local cuisines as it's all part of the experience.

A lot of people can be a little to conservative when it comes to what food they eat, but unless it's something I know for a fact I don't like, then I'm willing to give anything a try. Well, within reason...

10. Chahal

They are every where. Americans are trying to colonize us after the British. Look at how I spell colonize , its really happening.

McDonald's in India dont have "cheese burgers" that you get in the UK. Last time I was there it was 1Pound for one of those. McDonald's dont sell any beef or pork products here in India.

Almost everything on their menu has an Indian touch. Might like a thing or two.

:)

pwarbi likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm willing and open to eat anything as long as it's not got anything to do with fish, so Indian McDonald's? When I said a local cuisine it's not what I had in mind but why not?!

12. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

If anything it would be interesting to visit a Mcdonalds or other major fast food chain just to see how it differs from other countries

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Well that's true, I've been to quite a few different countries, and while the menu in the McDonald's does usually stay pretty much the same, various countries do have things slightly different, so it would be worth a visit.

14. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

If you are a vegetarian, I would definitely recommend "Shankara Vegis" which is very near to Taj Mahal. Their veg Thali and Lassi are vary delicious. The restaurant got a good air conditioning which offers a great escape from Agra heat. If you are looking for a place to relax, have good food, play some games, this is the place for you. Moreover they also offer fast WiFi connection which is free to use. What else do you want! The Manager is very friendly and so are the staff members.

If I happen to be in Agra anywhere in future, I would definitely go to this place again.

15. MichelleVL

MichelleVL New Member

Hi Codygr39! Some great places to eat out near the Taj Mahal are Peshawri, Esphahan (has live music), and Paatra (has live music too). All are located less than a mile away from the Taj Mahal. They all serve amazingly delicious, authentic Indian cuisine and have great settings and nice ambience. You will absolutely love them. Have a great trip.

16. Malvika Narayan

Malvika Narayan New Member

hi... if you need authentic food. i would recommend " The Oberoi Amarvillas" Agra. It is a 5 star hotel.