1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips when visiting Khajuraho

Discussion in 'Central India' started by NancyJacob, Jul 15, 2015.

1. NancyJacob

NancyJacob New Member

I am a 24 year old female who will be visiting Khajuraho with my other two female friends. We will be in Khajuraho in the end of July. I would like some tips for our trip to Khajuraho as this will be our first trip in that area, and we don't want to break any rules or look the odd ones out.
    Thanks

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

Khajuraho is a very popular tourist destination and it would be recommended that you prebook your accommodation before you leave for the destination.
    End of July will be very hot, so light cotton clothing would be suitable, and because the place is kind of religious it would be a good idea to dress accordingly. That is it really, nothing too odd or different from any other place in India.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here are some tips that I ca give with regards to visiting Khajuraho:

1. My first recommendation is to postpone your trip only until October or later. Unfortunately, the monsoon season is not a great time to visit the area. Despite the rain, the weather remains humid around Khajuraho. It's also difficult to do some sightseeing especially in the temples when it's raining, as they're in a bit of a distance with each other. The best time to visit Khajuraho is from October to March. The weather during this time is pleasant and cooler. However, make sure that you book hotels well in advance as this is also the peak tourist season.

2. When it comes to transportation, the most convenient and fastest way to reach Khajuraho is via airplane. However, overnight trains are also available from Agra and Jhansi. Unfortunately, trains from Jhansi are unreserved so you cannot book in advance. I cannot recommend buses as the journey can be tiring. Your other option would be hiring a vehicle, which is more comfortable than a bus. If possible, hire a four-wheel drive vehicle as the roads in Madhya Pradesh aren't in such good conditions.

3. On hiring a guide: Guide charges are about Rs. 600 for a group of 4 people for 4 hours. You can find guides just opposite the Western Group of Temples. Otherwise, you can opt to have an "audio tour" which is a walkman guiding you along the temples. You can purchase this at the MP Tourism counter at the Western Group of Temples for just Rs. 50.

4. The temples are open before sunrise and just before sunset. Time your schedule accordingly. It normally takes a whole day to explore all the temples in the area. At night time, there's a light and sound show that you can watch. It is shown at the Western Group of Temples. The fee is at Rs. 100 for Indians and Rs. 400 for tourists.

5. Bring your own flashlight especially if you're going in a cloudy day. This way, you will be able to see the sculptures clearly. The temples rely on natural lighting and some areas might not be as well-lit on a gloomy day.

6. It's customary and respectful to remove your shoes before entering the temples. So make sure that your footwear can be easily removed and worn. Also, make sure that they're comfortable as the journey from one group of temples to another can be long at times.

7. As related to the above suggestion, you can also hire a bike which is at Rs. 30 per hour. It's a great way to explore the temples and experience the rural life at the same time. You can easily ask the locals for directions for your next destination as well.

8. You can find plenty of smaller accommodations in Khajuraho itself. They're quite near to the temples and other attractions. Most of them are clean and will suffice for a comfortable stay. It's a great idea to stay in them so that you can also help the livelihood of the people in the city.

9. The Western Group of Temples have a set fee of Rs. 250 per person (except children). The other groups of temples are free to enter.

10. The Khajuraho Dance Festival happens during the months of February to March, specifically February 25 and March 2. During this time, classical dances are performed with the temples in its background.

11. Lastly, enjoy exploring the temples. Although there are some erotic sculptures, these aren't the main theme of the temples. You'd find temples dedicated to certain deities as well. They are a testament of the Hindu faith and worship during those times. The sculptures depicting day to day activities give us a glimpse of how life was back then. These temples are truly worth visiting and I'm sure you'd find time passing quickly while you're there.

I hope this helps!

4. Sourav

Sourav New Member

I am taking a guess that your visit to Khajuraho would be to visit the temples and the sculptures.

Central India is a very hot place and like briannagodess has posted that July is not a suitable time to visit, I would suggest that even October is a bit hot. According to me and my past experience the best time to go from November to February. If you are someone keen on taking pictures you will be able to take good pictures when the weather is pleasant and is clear.

As you are not a local, make sure you do not get ripped off by the guides, and always try to bargain.

5. gamer2x

gamer2x New Member

have been there and one of the things which you would like to follow is to get out of there before dark.

There are no permanent establishments nearby accept a guesthouse and it is surrounded by a jungle and therefore, not at all safe to stay at night, so make sure, you plan your sight seeing in such a way that it is over 5pm max.

6. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Here are some tips for your upcoming trip to Khajuraho with your girlfriends:

Weather:
    • The weather in Khajuraho at the end of July will be hot and humid, with monsoon rains possible. Be sure to pack light, breathable clothing, comfortable walking shoes, an umbrella, and a hat.
    Accommodation:
    • Khajuraho has a variety of hotels and guesthouses to suit all budgets. Since you're a group of female travelers, consider researching guesthouses with good reputations for safety and security.
    Dress Code:
    • While Khajuraho is a relaxed destination, it's a religious site for Hindus and Jains. Out of respect, dress modestly when visiting the temples. Opt for clothing that covers your shoulders and knees. Avoid wearing skimpy clothing, shorts, or tank tops. Here are some examples of outfits that would be appropriate:
      • Long, flowy skirts or dresses with sleeves
      • Lightweight pants with a tunic top
      • Kurta sets, which are traditional Indian clothing options for women
    Temple Etiquette:
    • Remove your shoes before entering the temples. Socks are acceptable if you prefer.
    • Photography is allowed at most temples, but avoid using flash photography inside the temples.
    • Be respectful of those praying or meditating in the temples.
    Guides:
    • Hiring a knowledgeable guide can significantly enhance your experience at Khajuraho's temples. They can explain the history, stories, and symbolism behind the sculptures.
    Safety:
    • Khajuraho is generally a safe place for tourists. However, as with any destination, it's always wise to be cautious. Here are some general safety tips:
      • Be aware of your surroundings, especially at night.
      • Stick together as a group, especially when exploring the temples.
      • Carry a photocopy of your passport and important documents.
      • Bargain respectfully when shopping at markets.
      • Be aware of scams, such as people offering to help you buy tickets or overpriced souvenirs.
    Additional Activities:
    • In addition to visiting the temples, you can also visit the Archaeological Museum in Khajuraho, which houses artifacts from the Chandela period.
    • Enjoy a light and sound show held in the evenings at the Western Group of Temples. This show narrates the history of Khajuraho.
    • If time permits, consider taking a day trip to the nearby town of Mahoba, which has interesting temples and forts.
    By following these tips, you and your friends can have a safe, enjoyable, and enriching experience in Khajuraho.

Most importantly, relax and have fun! Khajuraho is a beautiful place with a rich history and culture.