1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing a jeep from Kullu to Leh in March

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Aryeh84, Dec 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Aryeh84

Aryeh84 New Member

Hi

I was just wondering if there is anyone who wants to share a jeep travel from Kullu to Leh in last week of March. I am a solo traveller and this is my second time in Kullu, I wanted to go for Leh tour in my last visit too but was unable to make it due to weather conditions.
    I will be thankful if someone can tell me how much it will cost now and how much time it takes by from Kullu to Leh by road?

2. Aadi

Aadi Member

March is not the best time to travel on Leh road, still if you want to make it then be prepared with extra food and water. During March weather can play real jokes at time, it can be sunny all day and clouds can cover suddenly and it can snow or rain all night long.

Total distance from Kullu to Leh is around 530 Km (330 mile) and it takes around 24 hours by road. If you hire a cab for yourself then it will cost you around INR. 18000 for round trip but if you want to take a shared Jeep then it would be around 6000-7000 and yes in Jeep remember to get the front seat to enjoy the beauty of hills on the way.

I already been to Leh several times but still I can't get enough of it, so I am sure you will love it :)

3. Rumikhan

Rumikhan New Member

Leh and Ladakh are my dream destinations but I never been there, I have seen many beautiful and breath taking pics of Leh and Ladakh. Aadi how many times have you been to Leh and would you like to share some pictures of your recent trip?

4. Aadi

Aadi Member

I am not sure how many times but I think more than 8-10 times and I always loved it. I am not sure if you know that I am from Kullu, Himachal .

5. Rumikhan

Rumikhan New Member

Please let me know whenever you plan your next time to Leh, I will try my best to hop-in.

Aadi likes this.
  6. Aryeh84

Aryeh84 New Member

Thanks for your valuable suggestions Aadi.
    As you said March is not the best time, so what is the best time to make this trip?

7. Aadi

Aadi Member

In my opinion best time to visit Leh and Ladakh is from June to August end.

8. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Roads to Kullu are all closed right now and there is no way to go there by road at the moment and March is not going to be much different because March is still pretty cold and snow fall is not uncommon. The speed at which snow is cleared by government authorities makes it impossible to get anywhere while it is snowing. Army clears most of the route but it really depends how badly they need the roads from what I have seen in the past. As already mentioned by other members above, it is best to avoid winters.

9. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are no shared taxis that go to Leh from Kullu in the month of March as roads are closed that time of the year. Today is 25th of may and Manali to Leh highway is still not open.

Your best option is coming back to Delhi and taking a flight direct to Leh.