1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travelling from Chennai to Bhubaneswar by road?

Discussion in 'East India' started by PrakashDas, Jul 7, 2015.

1. PrakashDas

PrakashDas New Member

I am from Chennai and my family and another family together wish to travel from Chennai to Bhubaneswar by road. We want to plan our trip and need help on the directions for the road trip. Please provide as detailed information as you can.

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

The journey from Chennai to Bhubaneswar will be very long, it is around 1236km which is around 20 hours.

1.Head north on Sydenhams Rd towards Muthu St Pass

2.Turn left after HP Petrol Pump (on the right), Pass by Tamil Nadu Haj Service Society (on the left)

3.Slight right to stay on Elephant Gate St

4.Slight right after the park, Pass by Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (on the left in 450 m)

5.Turn left onto Erukkancheri High Rd/Grand Northern Trunk Rd

6.Turn left onto Erukkancheri High Rd/Grand Northern Trunk Rd/Kalyanapuram Main Rd. Continue to follow Erukkancheri High Rd/Grand Northern Trunk Rd

7.Turn right onto Erukkancheri High Rd/Grand Northern Trunk Rd/Murthy Nagar St Pass by Chennai Corporation Middle School (on the left)

8.Slight left onto Erukkancheri High Rd/Grand Northern Trunk Rd. Drive along Dr Ambedkar Government Arts College (on the left for 100 m)

9.Continue straight to stay on Erukkancheri High Rd/Grand Northern Trunk Rd. Pass by Shell Fuel Station (on the left in 1.7 km)

10.At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto NH 5. Pass by Ashok Leyland Light Vehicle (on the left in 550 m)

11.Continue straight to stay on NH 5. Pass by Petrol Pump (on the right in 600 m)

12.Continue straight onto AH45/NH 5. Continue to follow AH45 Partial toll road

13.Slight left onto Guntur-Chennai Hwy. Pass by Ramulavari Temple (on the left in 10.8 km)

14.Turn right

15.Sharp right

16.Continue onto Ullapalem Rd

17.Turn left

18.Turn left

19.Slight left

20.Turn right

21.Turn left

22.Turn left

23.Turn left

24.Turn left onto Brahmana Bazar Rd

25.Turn right

26.Turn left

27.Turn right onto Trunk Rd

28.Turn right towards NH 5

29.Slight left onto NH 5, Partial toll road, Pass by Anjaneya swami temple (on the right in 171 km)

30.Turn right onto Tanuku Rd

31.Sharp right onto Tadepallegudem Rd

32.Turn left at the statue

33.Turn left

34.Turn right, Pass by Gajula Residence (on the right)

35.Turn right onto Nidadavole - Narasapuram State Hwy, Pass by Sri Ganapthi Oil Company (on the left)

36.Turn left onto Kovvuru - Nidadavolu Rd

37.Turn right onto Dowlaiswaram - Vijjeswaram Rd

38.Continue onto Main Rd, Pass by CE,GDS Office (on the left)

39.Turn right onto Agraharam Rd

40.Agraharam Rd turns left and becomes Quarry Canal Rd

41.Continue onto Industrial Colony Rd

42.Turn left onto NH 5, Partial toll road, Pass by Indian Oil Petrol Bunk (on the left in 14.5 km)

43.Turn left

44.Turn right

45.Continue onto SH 38

46.Slight left

47.Merge onto NH 5, Partial toll road, Pass by Corporation Bank (on the left in 396 km)

48.Slight left

49.Turn left onto Nandan Kanan Rd

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Gori Bride likes this.

3. Rahul4640

Rahul4640 New Member

I have not driven all the way from Bhubaneswar to Chennai, hence may not speak anything first hand. But one friend of mine who recently drove to Hyderabad from Calcutta had just told me that the road (NH-5) between Vijayawada and Vizag is in excellent shape. And I personally can tell you that the road in between Vizag and Bhubaneswar is really good. It is a divided two lane highway throughout with good road surface and sparse traffic. I guess you will enjoy your drive.

ChaiNashta, Gori Bride and Chahal like this.
  4. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

In my own experience roads and traffic is much much better in South India as compared to Northern states. I haven't been on this route but my husband drove to Bhubaneshwar from Chennai back in 2013 and I didn't hear any complaints which he does normally if the journey is troublesome.

5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Oh My Goddess! shiv u wrote the entire route :) nice...

6. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

That is copy paste from one of the route planning websites.

BadBoy likes this.
  7. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

LOL.. i thought he had been to that route and remembered each turn he took:D

Gori Bride likes this.
  8. PrakashDas

PrakashDas New Member

Thanks for the input guys. The trip has been delayed until end of August as there are two more people joining, but is still on.

Do you think we should stopover at night somewhere, or continue the journey as it is three of us who can take turns in driving?

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I've posted this on another thread but I'll just put it here again. This is the route you have to follow to reach Bhubaneswar from Chennai:
    • Chennai > Nellore > Vijayawada > Visakhapatnam > Srikakulam > Brahmapur > Bhubaneswar.
    From Chennai to Nellore, this is about 175 kms and it can you 3 hours to reach the latter. Road condition here is quite good. You can find a few stopovers most worthy of which are the Silver Inn Restaurant and the Alankar Bakery.

From Nellore to Vijayawada, this is about 279.5 kms and it can take you 4 hours to reach the latter. Take the Guntur Chennai Highway for the most optimum road conditions. The route itself is very scenic and quite smooth. You can also find many stopovers here for food, Shrihari Dhaba and Sai Ram Dhaba are great options.

From Vijayawada to Visakhapatnam, this is about 347 kms and it can take you 6 hours to reach the latter. Again, there are good road conditions here and the route is quite scenic. You can stay for the night in Visakhapatnam.

The next day, leave early for Srikakulam. This is about 116 kms from Visakhapatnam so expect to drive for 2 to 3 hours to reach it. Road conditions are okay here. It's an easy and short drive from Visakhapatnam so you won't need to stop for any restaurants here.

From Srikakulam to Brahmapur, the distance is 274 kms so you would reach the latter in 5 hours. You can find several restaurants along the way. In Brahmapur, there's the New Biryani Centre and the Girija Restaurant.

Next would be Brahmapur to Bhubaneswar which is about 171 kms. This is a short route and quite scenic as well. You can reach Bhubaneswar in about 3 hours.

All in all, your journey would be about 24 hours. It still depends on the traffic and the delays you encounter.

I hope this helps!