1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bangalore to Ooty by Car

Discussion in 'Karnataka' started by Smiley, Jul 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Smiley

Smiley New Member

I am from Bangalore and will be going Ooty in a couple of weeks. The initial plan was to take a train to Ooty, but then I thought that maybe driving to Ooty would be much better and scenic.

I have not been on this route before, so would need some advice if it is possible driving from Bangalore to Ooty.

What are the road conditions from Bangalore to Ooty?

How long would it take to reach Ooty from Bangalore?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Smiley! Welcome to the forum!

The distance between Bangalore and Ooty is about 277.6 kms via National Highway 275. This can take 7 to 8 hours of driving, depending on traffic, delays and stopovers. The routes you can take are:
    • Via Mysore - Bangalore > Mysore > Nanjangudu > Gundlupet > Bandipur > Mudumalai > Masinagudi > Kalhatti > Ooty
    • Via Chamrajnagar - Banagalore > Kanakpura > Kollegal > Chamrajnagar > Gundlupet > Bandipur > Theppakadu > Masinagudi > Ooty.
    It is possible to drive from Bangalore to Ooty by yourself. The distance itself isn't so bad and there's some scenic views along the way.

It depends on what route you take. The Mysore Route is generally shorter but has more challenging roads. This is more obvious in the Masinagudi > Kalhatti > Ooty roads. More so if you're a newbie to driving in such steep roads, it can be difficult. However, if you have driven to narrow and steep lanes before, you'll do fine with this route. Aside from that, this is the more popular route so expect heavier traffic and more crowds in here. The advantage is that there's lots of stopovers along the way like gas stations and restaurants.

The Chamrajnagar Route has better road conditions. You might spot some occasional potholes especially from the Chamrajnagar > Gudnlupet > Bandipur stretch. On the Theppakadu > Masinagudi > Ooty stretch, there's one lanes and occasional hairpin bends. But generally, the road conditions in this route are in good states. The disadvantage of this route is that there's not many restaurant options.

It depends on what route you take and the traffic for that day. But generally, you can reach Ooty in 7 hours of driving, sometimes longer.

I hope this helps!