1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Buy Gems From Jaipur?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SheilaKp, Jan 19, 2016.

1. SheilaKp

SheilaKp New Member

According to my astrologer I need to purchase some gems and as Jaipur has a large market for gems would you guys recommend purchasing them from there?
    Are there high chances to being cheated by the gem merchants there?
    What do you suggest I should do?
    Jaipur

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

"Jaipur gems scam" Google it. If I was you I would buy at the local jeweller even if it means spending a bit extra.

3. Ritika Sharma

Ritika Sharma Member

Well, It depends upon you. If you want to buy then do proper research and analysis.

4. swalia

swalia Guest

Jaipur is famous for gems. But I would suggest buying gems from a trusted jeweler or gems dealer rather than buying it from an unknown seller. It's very difficult to differentiate a real gem from a fake one. You can also consider getting a gem tested for authenticity from a certified laboratory before buying it.

5. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Jaipur is famous for gemstones. If you are a person who loves wearing gemstones you should definitely buy gemstones.

hellotraveler likes this.
  6. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

What is the price difference between the gemstones from Jaipur and official jewelry stores? I see the intrigue of wanting to go to where you can get the best price, but I would worry about whether the gems were real or not if they were not sold from the jewelry store. Is there a way to tell easily before you buy? Or would you have to bring it to a jeweler to check it to know if it is the real thing?

7. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I am one of those people who always regrets not buying things when I had the chance, so I would have to say yes. Of course I am just assuming that they are a good deal and worth it and all of that, but I really have no idea because I do not know anything about gems or where to get them. It sounds like it is something to look into though, and if the price is right then why not.

8. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Before you buy, please educate yourself carefully. In truth, a lot of gemstones are not expensive. They are common minerals, rocks, just polished up. The expense comes from being put in a setting and marked up hundreds of dollars in a store. Jaipur is a great place to find some deals, but only if you know what to look for, and only if you can judge quality. Otherwise, you will overpay, or be scammed. The market has become much more of a tourist destination than an actual exchange. That means that there is less of the bulk sales which lowered prices.