1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Srinagar to Leh by road or flight?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by AmitNavin, Jul 31, 2015.

1. AmitNavin

AmitNavin New Member

A trip to Leh is being planned for a week and I need some advise regarding reaching Leh. In order to get to Srinagar I need to get a flight and it is the journey ahead to Leh which I am confused about. Should I get a flight to Leh from Srinagar or take a car to Leh?

How long would it take to go by car from Srinagar to Leh?

2. Deven

Deven Member

It would be better if you travel to Leh from Srinagar by plane, as it would save you time and it would be an easier way to get to Leh. A car journey from Srinagar to Leh would take around 1 day, and if you did opt for this it would only leave you with 6 days in Leh.

BadBoy likes this.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Easier on the plane yes but you would miss out on the excellent scenery that road trip has to offer. Leh is beautiful but the journey to Leh by road is even better and not to be missed. Take the Srinagar to Leh highway and you would never regret it. You would remember it all your life.

4. Akshay

Akshay Member

Can the same scenic views be seen within Leh or is it just on the Srinagar to Leg highway?

Sent from my 6043D using Tapatalk

5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

6. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

If you are solely interested in witnessing the barren beauty, a flight to Leh will serve the purpose right. However, if you want to enjoy the true Kashmir Valley in its diversified elements, there's no alternative to a road trip. You will be amazed by the dramatic change of natural sceneries as you climb higher.

Also, Srinagar-Leh national highway does have quite a few unique attractions en-route. Travelling by flight means you will be deprieved of visiting those awesome places. I would personally prefer a road trip from Srinagar to Leh and then a return trip from Leh to Manali over a flight journey anyday.

Regards,
    Deb

AmitNavin and Chahal like this.
  7. AmitNavin

AmitNavin New Member

Thank you for the advise, and I have decided that getting a car would be the best option, after all it is all about the views and if that is something which I will miss then it is not good. Although the car journey would take longer but I am sure it would be worth it.

8. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

You have taken the right decision. The 434 Km long Srinagar-Leh Highway can give unforgettable enchanting views to you. You are traveling in the right time as from November to May (six months) this highway would remain closed due to heavy snow fall. The roads will be in perfect condition which will be repaired by authorities once it reopens after the closure and you can enjoy the journey well. So, wish you a very happy journey. Hope you will share your experiences here and we are very eager to hear from you.

9. DevilKid

DevilKid New Member

When I went a couple of years ago, we travelled by a car from Srinagar Airport to Leh. We also got to stop at Kargil on the way to Leh (as it is right in the middle of the highway). The scenery from Srinagar to Sonamarg is one of the most beautiful things I have seen. From Sonamarg onwards, it turns quite plain and dry (since its a desert at a high altitude) but the valleys are just amazing. It's like you see bare mountains and a very lush green valley in between.

If I were you, I would go by car since it is just a much pleasant experience. However, if you are short on time, I would suggest taking the plane.

Chahal likes this.
  10. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Well the easiest way is to take a flight from Air India. You’ll be in Leh in less than an hour and it shouldn’t be that expensive since domestic flights are very affordable. Now, Chahal knows better than us, and if I were you I would follow his advice. You’re not in India every day so try not to miss anything!

11. DevilKid

DevilKid New Member

Yeah, but it takes a while for the body to get used to the thin air that is in Leh. Travelling by air and then landing in thin air might make it troublesome for you to travel around for a couple of days. Whereas going by road will slowly help you getting acclimatised to the air around you while giving you great views!

12. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

I'm pleased you've chosen to travel by car, it really is a beautiful part of the World. Just make sure that the road you choose is open, the Srinagar-leh highway closes for the Winter for at least four months, I can't quite remember but it might be even longer than that. If you're not used to living at altitude it will definitely be easier on you than flying, which can leave you feeling a little light-headed until you get used to the thinner air at Leh. You will love Leh, its a magical place.