1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mystique of Ganges river

Discussion in 'Destination Guides' started by Alexandoy, May 31, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I am fascinated by the culture in the Ganges river. People submerge themselves in the waters which some claim are polluted. But is it true that the water of the river is dirty? And if it is then how about the claim of the curative properties of the water? Believers say that they are healed of their ailments when they take a dip in the waters of the Ganges. What is the origin of that tradition? And do you think the healing powers of the river water is really true?

2. pravish

pravish Member

Yes, indeed the water of the Ganges river has now become polluted because of the ignorance of the Govt towards this river. In the Hindu religion the Ganges is considered to be the most sacred river and it is believed that taking a dip in this holy river will wash out all your sins and makes (freedom from cycle of Death) is granted. I personally do not believe it has healing power for what so ever in todays date. Apart from its religious importance, it has played a major role in the prosperity of many provincial capitals such as Patliputra, Kashi, Patna, Bhagalpur, Calcutta and Kampilya which were located along the banks of this river. These provinces flourished beacause of the Ganges.

3. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

As they say faith moves mountains. There is no truth in that statement but a mere coincidence that the cure follows a bath although that must have been due to the treatment the doctors gave.
    That river is the dirtiest as apart from sewage water that flows there dead bodies are thrown there too.
    If you have plans to bathe I suggest you do not