1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in Alleppey

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by RakeeG, Jun 27, 2016.

1. RakeeG

RakeeG New Member

I want to plan a trip to Alleppey and need to know what all things to do there. I am keen to do a lot of sightseeing and activities, so all suggestions are welcome....don't hold back!

The reason I need to know about the things to do in Alleppey is so that I can plan my holiday accordingly and know how many days I would require there.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There's lots of things you can do in Alleppey. For the most part, the backwaters of Alleppey has been drawing tourists all around the world. But there's lots more you can do apart from that. Here's a list of different activities that the place has to offer for you:

• Houseboat Cruise. The cruise starts in Alleppey, to Kumarakom and ends in Quilon. The backwaters are basically different rivers, canals, lagoons and inlets that all lead to the Arabian Sea. You would see that the water is very pure and fresh. A cruise in the backwaters can be very relaxing, you get to see nature at its best and also see the lives of the people who live there. You don't have to worry as well because your meals will be served to you. Consider an overnight cruise to truly experience Alleppey especially at night. Rates start at Rs. 4,500 for a one bedroom houseboat.
    • Go kayaking or canoeing to watch some rare birds in the backwaters. Get ready to see and capture rare species of birds while enjoying kayaking in the backwaters. Rates start at Rs. 4,000 and above.
    • Go swimming in Alapphuza Beach. In the beach, you'll see a lighthouse, an old pier and even some marine items being that this was an important part of Indian maritime history.
    • Try Ayurvedic massages. Have the ultimate pampering and relaxing session with an Ayurvedic massage in Kerala. Rates start at Rs. 1,000 and above.
    • Visit the temples. Alleppey is known for its Hindu temples like Nagaraja Temple, Chettikulangara Bhagavathy Temple and Ambalapuzha Krishna Temple.
    • Visit some churches. Aside from its temples, there's also some churches in Alleppey like St. Mary’s Church, St. Andrew’s Florence Forance Church and the Latin Catholic Church.
    • Go shopping at Alappuzha Zakariya Market. Buy some spices, handicrafts and even fresh fish.
    I hope this helps!