1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tibetan Market Goa Calangute

Discussion in 'Goa' started by Smiths, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Smiths

Smiths New Member

Our family will be staying near Calangute beach, and I have heard that there is a small but good Tibetan market in Calangute. They apparently sell some fantastic jewellery pieces, silver, brass and stone jewellery and little trinkets, something which appeals to my daughter and me. Also not so bad gifts to bring back home for friends and family.

Now I need some help from locals or members who have been to the Tibetan market in Calangute Goa.

1. Are the items costly at the Tibetan market?

2. Is it easy to bargain?

3. What is the best technique to bargain with the vendors?

4. Do you think the items sold are relatively cheap compared to items sold in the UK?

5. How far is the market from the beach?

6. Are there any days when the Tibetan market is closed?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's the answers to your questions:

The quoted prices for items are generally higher so they can seem expensive. However, you can bargain for them to lower their prices. I do think that since many of the items are handcrafted, they can be expensive. Furthermore, the vendors cater to foreign tourists more so they do have more expensive prices than other markets.

In a way, yes, as long as you know how to haggle well. Some vendors won't bend their prices for you though. There are others willing to bend the prices as long as it's acceptable. Just be polite and do not quote too low prices or they might be turned off. Once you get the hang of haggling, you'd be a pro in no time.

Here's a few tips I can give you:

• Wear something simple. Don't wear jewelries or expensive outfits or bags.
    • Always have change and smaller bills on hand so you won't have to hand them bigger bills and they would think you can afford the item.
    • Be polite and courteous.
    • Smile all the time so they would feel at ease.
    • You can pretend to walk away and find the same item for a lower price at another stall, this sometimes works for some vendors.
    • Always compare prices between different stores so you can get the best deal.
    I think so since it can be quite hard to find such authentic Tibetan handicrafts anywhere else. Most of the vendors here are Tibetan refugees and they give great deals sometimes. The markup is pretty high but if you're persistent, you can score them into lower prices by haggling. Otherwise, even buying the expensive items can help these refugees as life can be hard for them. And like I said, they're authentic and handmade, which can cost higher if you add in the vendor's shipping costs in the UK.

The Tibetan Market is by the main junction in Calangute Town. It's just a few minutes away from the beach. The exact location is at Calangute-Baga Road, Calangute, India.

They're open everyday as far as I know. I cannot seem to find a schedule online though sadly.

I hope this helps!