1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourist In India On Holi Day

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by PaulH, Mar 1, 2016.

1. PaulH

PaulH New Member

I have booked a holiday to India from 15th March till 30th March and have only got to know about the Holi festival which is celebrated across India.
    Can someone tell me more about this festival and give details about the questions which I have mentioned below:

1. Is it possible to go out sight seeing or shopping on the day of Holi?

2. Are shops closed on this day?

3. Is it safe to go out and see the festival or will places be crowded?

4. If nothing can be done is there any place where we can go so we don't waste a day of our holidays?

2. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

! Paul! I would LOVE to be in India on Holi! I think you've picked a brilliant, brilliant time. Holi looks like such a wonderful festival. Check out pictures of it - so many of them are just full of smiling, grinning, laughing people, who are clearly having the time of their lives. My Indian friends absolutely adore it. I'm so excited for you! I have no idea if shops are open, re. questions one and two, but I think that perhaps they are, because I think people buy the powder to throw at each other. That is a guess. Re. number three, though, I don't think that they're mutually exclusive! I am SURE that places will be crowded, but I am also absolutely sure that if you go out and relax and join in and enjoy yourself, you could have the time of your life. I think that being in India on Holi would be as far from a waste of a day of holiday as possible - it looks like one big party, and, after all, it's a festival that celebrates love! I'd love to hear about it after you've gone.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

If you are there during the festivities, you should really try to be a part of them. I think it is a great opportunity, and would be far more rewarding than just seeing a temple or a ruin. Many people plan trips just for the experience. I know it might not be your first choice, and it could seem weird, but count yourself lucky and seize the chance of a lifetime.