1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towels And Bed Linens

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by Chanterelle, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Chanterelle

Chanterelle New Member

So I happened across an article online that claimed to share secrets from the Indian hotel industry, and one of them was that towels and bed linens are often not changed between guests unless you specifically request that happens. (I am guessing here that if something looks okay it is left, while obviously dirty things would be changed, but who knows.)

I have no problem with doing my bit for the environment and not having fresh bed linen and towels daily, but this would be a step too far. Is it really the case?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

That is not unique to India. It would be rare for a decent hotel to do that, so it should not be much of a risk unless you are staying at hostels, or budget establishments. But you should always check your sheets first. It is good to give your room a basic inspection, too. And, if you can, pack your own washcloth and a travel towel. You might not need to use it, but it will be indispensable if you have to.

Chanterelle likes this.

3. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

That's definitely common in all lower class hotels in ALL countries, not just India. Just make sure you're staying somewhere reputable, and I wouldn't worry about it too much. Or, just bring your own.

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I think it is great for people to bring their own towels and washcloths. Most times, they are provided. But it is just better to be safe than sorry.

5. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member

It's true that some hotels really do not change bed linens, particularly comforters in between sheets. I'm not saying these hotels are specifically those in India, though. It's more of a general conclusion. I recall we had an "exchange program" in college and I was assigned to work in a hotel. One job I had was to change bed sheets and I was surprised that the hotel staff didn't give me a new comforter to change, I asked her about it and she said they were instructed not to change it. It's a bit disgusting, really, so my advice is to really make sure to check your bed linen and towels and ask the staff to change them with new ones with you watching if possible. LOL!

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I actually saw an article in the news just the other day about a person who found a note in their hotel bed from the previous guest, saying "If you're reading this the hotel didn't change the sheets!"

Yikes...kind of makes me want to stay at 5 star places or nothing, not that I can afford it, but I don't really love the idea of sleeping in someone else's bed sheets!

7. CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious New Member

In my experience this has never been the case. It is entirely possible that this occurs as a one off incident in a budget hotel but never in a decent one. I have sometimes had the house-keeping staff ask me if I wanted a change for some things (such as mattress covers) so that might be an 'optional'. But otherwise, I've never had this to be an issue.

8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Yes, it is a common issue for hotels (especially the cheaper ones). The best thing you can do is to ask for a new one as soon as you arrive, considering you are paying for the room. Keep in mind that if they have not changed the sheets, it may contain all sorts of dirt; consider what the previous occupant may have done in the room and you see where I am going. Just to make sure you bring disinfectants everywhere, you never know where the germs might be located when entering a stranger's room.

9. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

This is why I think it would be a good idea to bring your own towel and maybe your own bed spread that you can use while traveling. I know it might be a paranoid thing to do but nowadays you can never really be too sure. For health reasons, I would do this if only to save myself from any certain allergies or sickness the previous room user had. Then I would need to thoroughly clean my things separately when I get home. There's no such things as being too careful nowadays.