1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kerala suggestions and tips

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by grinoalpha, Dec 30, 2014.

1. grinoalpha

grinoalpha New Member

Hello

I am visiting Kerala in a week and plan is to stay there for 3-4 days. I am interested in general tourism only and any feedback is welcome:

1. How is the weather during this time of the year?
    2. Is it the tourist season in Kerala?
    3. Any specific shopping items?
    4. Anything which I should keep off?

Please recommend some good hotels too, I am not very concerned about price if it is worth.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

This reply is super late already but I hope this can help other guests or members who might have the same queries.

During December, it is considered as the winter season in Kerala. Winter season begins in the end of November until middle to late February. Temperatures during this time are low but not very low compared to other seasons. The highlands of Kerala get the lowest temperatures and can even reach 10°C or lower during the winter season. This is also the season when Kerala receives the lowest rainfall.

Generally, this is considered as tourist season or peak season in Kerala. From September to March, these are usually the months that tourists flock to Kerala. However, with recent years, the government has witnessed a surge of tourists even during supposed off-peak seasons, which is from April to August.

Yes, there are specific items/products you can buy in Kerala:
    • Spices. Buy them from Thekkady. You can buy the freshest spices only in Kerala. My personal recommendations would be cinnamon, turmeric and cardamom.
    • Nilgiri Tea and Other Types of Teas. It is actually in the Western Ghats that the concept of stalls selling teas started. Buy these teas from Munnar, Wayanad or Thekkady.
    • Banana Chips. I love their sweetened banana chips, although there's also salted and spicy versions.
    • Kathakali Masks. Kathakali is a classical dance in Kerala and probably one of the best dances in India. You can buy Kathakali Masks in bazaars or markets all throughout Kerala.
    • Models of Chundam Vallam and Houseboats. You can buy these in local markets as well.
    Well, beaches in Kerala have their own appeal during monsoon season but avoid swimming as they can be dangerous. You can just admire them from the sand or beach houses.

Aside from that, some waterfalls cannot be accessed during this time of the year, it's better to access them post-monsoon season. These waterfalls to avoid are the: Meenmutty Waterfalls, Thommankuthu Waterfalls, Chethalayam Waterfalls and Power House Waterfalls. The remaining ones can be visited even in monsoon season.

Here's a few hotels in certain places:

Alleppey
    • Lake Palace Hotel Alapuzzha. As the name suggests, you can view the lake or backwaters right in your room with this hotel. They also provide backwater houseboat accommodations. Rooms have their own television, fridge, bar and safe deposit. There's also a health club and banquet facilities in the hotel. Room rates start at Rs. 10,000 per night.
    • Citrus Retreats. Rooms are very luxurious and offer views of the backwaters as well. There's even WiFi in the room along with television and a mini-bar. They have their own swimming pool and a game room for kids. Rates start at Rs. 3,450 per night.
    Wayanad
    • The Windflower Resorts and Spa. Catch amazing views of the mountains and tour plantations near this resort. Rooms are luxurious and come with their own WiFi, television and DVD player. There's also a swimming pool and restaurant in here. Rates start at Rs. 10,800 per night.
    Thekkady
    • The Elephant Court. Just very near the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, you'll find The Elephant Court. It is very near plantations as well. Rooms are very elegant, the Garden Suite even has its own jacuzzi. Rates start at Rs. 4,560 per night.
    Munnar
    • Dream Catcher Resort. Consider getting their Tree House accommodation at Rs. 8,000 during off-peak season. It offers nice views of the surroundings with it being 60 feet high from the ground. It even has its own balcony, perfect for just relaxing and enjoying the scenery.
    I hope this helps!

3. pavilion

pavilion New Member

Is fine to visit Kerala outside tourist season in Kerala too, I guess. Which season has lower temperature than a winter weather?. Around 10 º Celsius is cold, but is still quite bearable, I think, that even during colder season is still suitable for a trip. It would be interesting to know the price fluctuation between the peak tourist season and off peak.

Didn't know that swimming in a Kerala beach is dangerous, too strong sea waves and whirlpools? Sharks?