1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling with a baby?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by jaden11218, Jul 29, 2016.

1. jaden11218

jaden11218 New Member

I love to travel and have done so solo in the past, but now I've got my husband and baby to bring along. Everyone at home is just telling me to let the baby stay with the grandparents because traveling isn't safe for him, does anyone have some advice? Either reasons he shouldn't go, or advice on how we could make it work to take him? He would be ten months old at the time of the trip.

2. gamer2x

gamer2x New Member

You have to first look into the cities which you are visiting because if you would mostly be in the towns, it wouldn't be a problem.

Also, the mode of transportation matters a lot because if you are looking at public buses, then your baby should probably stay at home, but if you can opt for private cars, then you wouldn't have a problem at all.

All over the country in towns and bigger city centers, you would find franchise pharmacies and problem hospital services, in case you want to use them, so it shouldn't be a problem.

3. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I don't think safe is the right word here. I think that what they wanted to say is that the baby will ruin your holiday. This is almost 90 percent accurate. It happens because babies are new to everything, life even, and especially to new climate and new germs, viruses, etc. It is most likely that the baby will catch something and you'll spend your days trying to get her better at local doctor or even going back home. It is not a 100 percent sure scenario. Maybe your baby is one of those babies who are going to be enjoying the holiday as much as you but most of the babies just get diarrhoea, or constipation, or fever or even some kind of allergic reaction.

4. MissT

MissT New Member

When I traveled to India early last year, I left my four year old daughter at home with my parents. I thought that the long trip might be a bit too much for her and I didn't want to risk her getting sick from all the exposure to new germs and viruses. This would have totally spoiled the holiday for everyone. She actually had a really great time at home with her grandparents and all is well.

5. Normad

Normad New Member

I don't think it would be such a good idea to take a baby with you to India. The baby is much too young to really experience or enjoy anything that India has to offer and there are so many risks and no benefits at all for taking the child with you. I think what most people here have suggested is right. Rather stay safe than sorry and leave the baby home with your relatives.

6. jaden11218

jaden11218 New Member

My concern was if he was likely to end up sick or not. I want him to start traveling with us young, but maybe he should sit this one out. Thank you guys

7. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

I have seen numerous white European and American couples visit India as tourists with children as young as six months. They travel throughout the country over months on end and go back home safe and healthy. All you need to do is to take care of your child as any good parents will do. Do not visit places with extreme weather conditions and take utmost care with your hygiene. But if you are coming from the US or Canada, the long flights to India is something to really think seriously about.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I did not have to deal with this when I traveled to India, but I have to deal with it on other trips, but thankfully those were not out of the country. I know they are children and they are the best things ever and I love them to death, but it is a hassle having a baby on board during a trip, lets just face it. My wife certainly had it much worse than me, too, so I would not really even bring it up around her. The best thing that you can do is just prepare all you can and do as much research as you need to. Thanks for sharing.

9. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

As a previous commenter wrote traveling with a baby can ruin your trip. As a new mom with a child that's constantly adapting to the outside world it will be hard for the both of you. You can ofcourse leave your baby with trusted relatives-- that would be an ideal scenario if you need the holiday. You can't also risk getting sick abroad it would be a terrible situation.

10. EdmondE

EdmondE New Member

Only you know your baby, only you know your family dynamics. If these dynamics allow you to bring a baby with you on a trip to India, I say go for it! Just don't bathe him/her in the Ganges!