1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chennai to Bhubaneshwar by road

Discussion in 'East India' started by SMaitey, Jun 11, 2015.

1. SMaitey

SMaitey New Member

A group of us friends want to make a road trip from Chennai to Bhubaneshwar.We know that the distance between the two places is a lot, but we would take it in turns to drive, has anyone been to Bhubaneshwar from Chennai by car? Any tips and advise would be appreciated.

2. Subu

Subu New Member

Although you will take turns in driving I would like to to let you know that the distance between the two places is 1228km that is about 20-25 hours of driving depending on traffic. Cost wise it would work out to be around Rs7000.
    I would like to suggest that you take a train from Chennai to Bhubaneshwar although the time would be the same the cost would be a third and would roughly cost you Rs600. Another option is getting a flight to Bhubaneshwar which would cost you around Rs4000 and time would be shortest which would be 2 hours and 50 minutes.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

A flight from Chennai to Bhubaneshwar should not take more then an hour and a half even if the pilot is feeling lazy that day.

@Subu Smaitey said road trip so flights and trains are out of the questions.

Driving long distances has its own charm and 1200Kms is not really too much of a distance when you have friends with you. My only advise to you would be to break down the journey into two days and only drive during the day. Stay the first night at some hotel mid way and then leave the next day early morning to be at your destination before sun set.

4. Subu

Subu New Member

Yes Chahal I realize that SMaitey mentioned a road trip, but I thought it would be helpful in giving other options as well and provide details so that he would be aware of the cost and time difference between the different modes of transport for traveling from Chennai to Bhubaneshwar.

5. Shiv

Shiv Member

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would certainly recommend a train, as others have said. The trains are also a part of experiencing India. But if you are set on driving, you will need to know your rout. This includes possible detours. Depending on what time of year you will travel, there can be flooding on some of the roads. I found this true outside of Chennai. The rural areas beyond the city were not well kept, and the major roads were heavily congested. I believe this has improved somewhat since I was there last, but people still complain.

7. Rahul4640

Rahul4640 New Member

@Subu Smaitey said road trip so flights and trains are out of the questions.Driving long distances has its own charm and 1200Kms is not really too much of a distance when you have friends with you. My only advise to you would be to break down the journey into two days and only drive during the day. Stay the first night at some hotel mid way and then leave the next day early morning to be at your destination before sun set.

I encourage Smaitey to drive on this road. I assure that the road is totally divided, is in very good shape and it will be a fun to drive. Six months earlier I made a 1200 KM Calcutta to Agra drive by our own car, accompanied by my wife and daughter. I was the solo driver, making the trip in about twenty hours, with adequate breaks. But the road surface is even better here and with taking turns while driving I am sure that it will be a nice and enjoyable journey.
    Drive safe.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance between Chennai and Bhubaneswar is about 1,228 kms via National Highway 16. It can take you a day or more to reach your destination. A possible route you can take is:
    • Chennai > Nellore > Vijayawada > Visakhapatnam > Srikakulam > Brahmapur > Bhubaneswar.
    Road conditions are good and smooth. You might encounter traffic on some parts. But overall, you won't have a problem with this route and the road as they're well-maintained and not patchy at all. Night halt can be halfway in Visakhapatnam. By then, you might have driven half a day already and considering you leave early, it might be evening by the time you reach Visakhapatnam. Some budget accommodation options here near the highway are:
    • Hotel Akshaya. Their room rates start at Rs. 1,050 per night. They are very near the highway as well. If you'd like, you can even spend some time on the Durga Beach as they're very close to that as well.
    • Hotel Ramachandra Ridge. Their room rates start at Rs. 2,000 per night. They're also just on the highway so it's easy to locate them.
    • Hotel Sea City Grand. Their room rates start at Rs. 1,299 per night. Again, it's just on the highway so you won't have to go out of your way to reach it.
    That's about it. Also, if you haven't visited Visakhapatnam before, there's lots of attractions here. If you can take a day or two to explore them, do so. It's worth the trip. The famous Borra Caves, one of the oldest and biggest caves in India, can be found here. Beaches here are quite spectacular as well: Rishikonda, Durga and Yarada. And don't miss out on visiting the Araku Valley and the 19 tribes here.

I hope this helps!