1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trekking Aids

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by mamanana, Feb 1, 2016.

1. mamanana

mamanana New Member

I've done quite a lot of trekking in my time and would like to do some while visiting India. I'm okay at map reading, but I do tend to rely quite a bit on my phone when I get stuck. I'd quite like to trek alone when I go to India, so I'm wondering whether I would be able to get by with map and phone, or would I need to hire a guide?

2. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

It depends on where you are trekking. It can be dangerous to travel to the remote place that does not receive many visitors. However, in a popular destination, it is very safe. India's telecommunication is very good, you can remain connected with the world through phone call and internet in many places.

3. swalia

swalia Guest

I would suggest that you hire a guide. Though you can do well by map reading and using GPRS but certain areas in India cannot be considered too safe for lone travelers especially foreigners. To be on the safer side, I will advise you to take somebody along with you when you go trekking.

4. mamanana

mamanana New Member

Thank you both. How would you recommend finding a good guide? Is it something I could do online before I arrive, or more a case of asking around when I get to my hotel?

5. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

If you are going into unfamiliar territory, it's highly recommended that you hire a guide. This is especially true if you are traveling alone. Keep in mind that a lot of the mountains in India are not yet accurately mapped. This means that you need a local guide to show you where and where not to go. You should also bring with you all the necessary hiking aids like a compass, a map, a phone, and lots of batteries.