1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desert Trekking In Rajasthan

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by ChaiNashta, Mar 28, 2016.

1. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

I have been on many treks in the Himalayas but never had a chance to venture into the Thar desert of Rajasthan. I wonder if people go desert trekking in Rajasthan or parts of Gujrat where there is mostly desert.

Do you know of any desert treks in Rajasthan that I can go to? I am not looking to get killed yet so only those treks that are reasonably safe and have some villages enroute.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

If you are after organised desert treks where you would be provided food and tents for the nights you spend on your trek then you would be looking at Rs7000-8000 per day which would include either a camel with stuff on its back or a 4X4 jeep, either way, you would be paying way more than it is worth. If you are going to be a part of a group then your price would come down considerably but these organised desert treks aren't my thing, don't know about you. Those are mostly desert safari routes where they take you on 4X4 jeep or for camel safaris.

Have a look at this route if it interests you Jaisalmer Camel Safari Oct 2012 This is a camel desert safari route near Jaisalmer where you can see some sand dunes on the way and is a good route. Finding a camel guy for your stuff and food material would be easy and those guys know the area well. Jaisalmer is not too far either and Sam dunes are close by, there is a lot to do in that area if you go there I am sure you will find something. Hurry up though.. summer is already here and it will get too hot in days to come.

I went from the foothills of Mount Abu to the lake at Mount Abu back in the days with 7 other friends and it was a lot of fun. It is not allowed though due to wildlife reservation so don't blame me if you get arrested for trespassing. I mentioned this in case this interests you. I can provide more details if you want but there is no sand or desert at Mount Abu.

Final words: Desert trekking in Rajasthan is not a very good idea if you ask me, go for a camel or jeep safari instead but if you must walk then take a camel guy (along with his camel of course) with you.