1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TSO Moriri

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Bipin, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Bipin

Bipin New Member

Back again with another query about a place in Leh Ladakh and this time it is about another lake which is Tso Moriri.
    I have read that Pangong Lake is more famous than Tso Moriri, and you would find more people at Pangong, but scenery and beauty wise they are equal, or some say Tso Moriri is better.
    My questions about Tso Moriri are somewhat similar to the questions I have posted about Pangong Lake.

A lot of people have mentioned that camping is possible at Tso Moriri, if so does this includes overnight camping as well?

What time should we arrive at Tso Moriri?

How far is Tso Moriri from Leh?

How far is Tso Moriri from Pangong Lake?

I am an Indian citizen do I need a permit to visit Tso Moriri?

What are the driving conditions like from Leh to Tso Moriri?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello again!

Camping is very much possible at Tso Moriri Lake. But you cannot do it nearby the banks of the lake as it is restricted, the lake being a wetland reserve and a sanctuary for migratory birds. There are accommodations/camps in the nearby village though, Korzok. In here, you can opt to stay overnight and view the lake from a distance.

It's best to arrive early afternoon in Tso Moriri. You can witness the sunset at your arrival. And the next day, you can wake up early to witness the beautiful sunrise.

The distance between Leh and Tso Moriri is about 220 kms. This takes about 5 to 7 hours of travel time. This is the route you have to take from Leh:
    • Leh > Karu > Upshi > Kumdok >Kere > Chumathang > Mahe > Sumdo > Korzok
    From Pangong Tso Lake though, it's about a hundred or so kms which takes about 3 to 4 hours of travel time. The route you have to take is:
    • Spangmik > Chushul > Tsaga La > Loma > Nyoma > Mahe > Tso Moriri
    As an Indian Citizen, you won't need to get an inner line permit to access Tso Moriri. This was just implemented last May 2014, where a lot of restricted places in Ladakh are now open for Indian tourists. This includes the famous Tso Moriri. You would just need to present your valid photo ID like driving license, passport, PAN Card etc.

The route I've given you have good road conditions. There's some unpaved roads that you have to take although it's not that bad. There's a mixture of paved and unpaved roads. Do not rush through the paved roads as they can be bumpy as well.

I hope this helps!

3. Jay

Jay New Member

Can someone please let me know about Tso Morini, what exactly is there to see and do there?

4. Prits

Prits Member