1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.s. Travel Agent, Or Indian Travel Agent?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by GinaMax, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I am looking into travel agents. I am trying to decide if it is better to get a travel agent from my own country, the US, or if I should look for a travel agent from India. I feel that a travel agent from the country I want to visit might be better. Do you think there is a difference between travel agents from my own country and those of India?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

In my opinion you don't need a travel agent at all. You can search for your flights, hotels, taxi and whatever else you need online and book it yourself instead of relying on an agent who would make money on everything that you buy through them.

3. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

The agent I use in the US is quite ethical. He makes most of his money off of hotels, restaurants and other dealings. Since the businesses are willing to pay to have a good travel agent bring them business, it means I do not pay him very much commission at all. However, the problem is that he has never been to India. He has been lots of other places, but for some reason he has not made it there. That is why I am considering getting an Indian travel agent. Do they work differently as far as commission goes?

4. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

I don't know about commission, but I'm with you - I'd expect someone who knows the country well to organise a better trip. Where are you going? I usually just organise everything on my own, but on one trip I used a fantastic travel agent who operates out of Varanasi. I know he does tours to Nepal etc. as well, and I believe he covers most of the country. If not, he'd definitely be able to recommend you someone good. He was brilliant. Really knowledgeable, really kind and friendly, really cared about making sure that people who did a tour with him had a good time, and extraordinarily honest. He was also such a great guy - for example, he started a school running out of his house for poor kids who didn't have anywhere else to learn! His name was Rajeev Rastogi, and his company was named Kashi Journeys - maybe he'd be able to help you.

GinaMax likes this.
  5. MarilynB

MarilynB New Member

This is a good question. I think if you experience any problems or have to get back to your home country quickly your American or home agency would know what to do. If you choose an Indian travel agent you will be figuring out the exchange rate to pay him or her as they are probably paid in Indian currency.

6. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I have not made a firm decision, but I have decided that I want to go to the national parks where you can stay over night. Some have cottages, and others are tent camping. I want to go somewhere exciting where I won't be eaten by a lion. So I really do need someone with first had experience.

Elizabetonth likes this.
  7. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

Fuuuuuun. That sounds great! In which case you'd probably be getting an Indian guide if you were there, even if you'd booked with an American travel agency. I really recommend Rajeev - let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know about him or his agency, or send him an e-mail and see if you like his answers.