1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmarried Couples

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by Daira, Jan 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Daira

Daira New Member

Ever since my husband and I started planning our trip to India, it has piqued the interest of some of our friends. One such couple is not married and they are wondering if they will encounter any issues staying together in the hotels there. Does anyone know if this will be a problem for them?

2. Shaka

Shaka New Member

I know many couples who aren't married and travel together. I don't think the hotels in India will object to the couple staying together. I think this is more for the people of the country. I think they might object if an Indian couple came to the hotel and they weren't married. Some countries frown on this. But considering your friends are not from India, I don't personally see an issue with this.

3. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

I don't think it will pose a problem either. Usually one person books the rooms so I don't see how they will know either way. I think they see enough tourists that they would not pay attention to the fact that they aren't married.

unmarried-couple.jpg

If women can be on the beach in that dress I am pretty sure Indian society is fairly liberal. Unmarried couples as far as I know are not legally barred from getting a room.

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There is no law against unmarried couples staying together in a room at hotels. There's plenty of couples who live together in different cities without being married. It is none of anyone's business. Hotel staff is not entitled to ask if you are married or not and if some one is stupid enough to ask such a question then please know that you are at the wrong hotel and should find a better place.

5. Tamboa

Tamboa New Member

I was going to ask the same question, so I'm glad we have an answer. I was actually more worried about upsetting the feelings of the Indian people, if they had strict standards of some sort.

6. M.Nayak

M.Nayak Member

There is no problem at all anywhere in India,Young Indian travellers are also doing the same,nobody is questioned at any hotel about the martial status...

7. Voyager

Voyager New Member

Unmarried couple do not face a problem in any part of the world and I don't see any reason why there should be a problem in India. Until the time that they are two consenting adults they will have no issue.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well one thing that I think you are forgetting is that who cares what other people think and just go have a good vacation. I do not think that you will see anything close to uneasiness or awkwardness if they are unmarried, and if for some strange reason they do then they should just move away and not worry about it. But no, they will be just fine.

9. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

That is so wrong in so many ways. Try that in one of the Arab countries or even in Pakistan and let me know how it went... If you make it ie.

10. tabby

tabby Member

You're quite right. It is indeed a valid question to ask if unmarried couples being together is an issue in India. For most of us who don't know a lot of India, we have this notion that India is a highly conservative society and may frown upon unmarried couples traveling together. As you rightly pointed out here, not all countries are accepting of this behavior. At least the Arab countries and Pakistan don't tolerate such.

11. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

India is a free country. India is a secular country.Therefore, unmarried couple will not encounter any problems while staying in hotels. There may be exceptions in small towns, where relationship is only allowed within the context of marriage. Never try to visit Muslim countries if you are unmarried couples.

12. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I don't think that will be a problem. Even people in their early 20s in just casual relationships and not married can get the same rooms. I don't think it would be an issue, unless the management would find it offensive or something, and they would issue their right to not serve people in their facilities. If that happens, then it's just as simple as going to a different hotel and checking if they have a problem with it. Good luck, and have fun!

13. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I don't think India is as strict as some middle east countries. There had to be places where friends or siblings of the opposite sex could share a room. Popular tourism destinations tend to be lose in things like that in understanding of foreign visitors who hailed from a different culture. To be welcoming and keeping up with the times is a priority.

14. Destiny

Destiny Member

No. I wouldn't believe they should really have any troubles staying anywhere. I mean, if they're male and female travelling together, they'll probably get mistaken as a married couple from time to time. But, I don't see them having any trouble staying anywhere.

15. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hmmm... With the higher end hotels, I would say that they won't have much problems booking them even if they aren't married. But if they're going to be booking cheaper hotels, I'd recommend just getting separate rooms since they aren't married. Not all cheaper hotels would have a problem with unmarried couples though, but just to be on the safe side, that's what I would recommend.

India is generally conservative but when it comes to the tourists, they don't meddle much as long as the unmarried couple acts appropriately. So there should be no PDAs, hugging or kissing at least in public places. And most especially on certain tourist destinations like temples, couples should be extra cautious and avoid being too sweet with each other.

I would also recommend booking in advance for a hotel. This way, they can be sure that a hotel can accommodate them despite them being unmarried.

I hope this helps!