1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is The Main Religion In India

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Pauline, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Pauline

Pauline New Member

I am a college student currently writing an essay on India, and I have joined the forum to get some help from those who know more about India and Indian's themselves, as I would get first-hand information and a better understanding.

I need to know what is the main religion in India, and also other than that what other religions are in India?

There will be more questions coming up as I progress with my essay.

Thank you.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Majority of our population is Hindu and second highest population is of Muslims. We have people of almost every faith you can think of and India is where most religions originated including Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism, Sikhism and a lot more.

India is a democratic country so we do not have any official faith and people live in relative harmony. All other religions are very well integrated into the society and mix with other people very well apart from Muslims who live in clusters and do not tend to engage/mix with other people who are non Muslims but then it is not something specific to India as I have traveled the world and found that Muslims always as a rule do not mix with people from other faiths. Not that I have a problem with that, just trying to give you a little perspective of what it is like in India.