1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is The Best Way To Travel In India?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Honest Abe, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Honest Abe

Honest Abe New Member

Should a tourist look up metro routes? Or make use of the taxi services? How about renting a car? And how are buses and trains for getting around? Does one need extensive experience in the area to get around with ease or could one figure out the transportation system on their own.

Also, what are the cheapest, fastest, and safest means of travel? And are they any times that travel options change, that a tourist should be aware of?

Thanks!

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Withing cities like Delhi NCR you will be better of using metro trains where ever possible and for small distances use the auto rikshaws. Hiring a taxi on a daily basis is also an option if you want to go sight seeing and want to save time. Taxis are pretty cheap in India and getting a taxi from a travel agency or even your hotel front desk is safe.
    Withing the cities almost everyone would understand and speak English so asking directions will never be a problem if that's what you meant to ask.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'd also think using public transport or taxis I'd the better option because as well as being safe and cheap, you won't have to worry about driving a hired car then as well.

The traffic in some of the major cities in India can be rather hectic to say the least!

amelia88 likes this.
  4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

The thought of driving in a lot of countries where the road rules and conditions would be different than mine scares me! I drove in Tokyo once for a day on a vacation and that was freaky enough - so much traffic, not knowing exactly where I was going - it was a recipe for disaster! I'm a total advocate for public transport if it's reliable and safe - plus like you said it's oftentimes far more cost effective than hiring a car.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I do think public transport is the best option, especially when staying in a city, I'm not sure if the system in India is as reliable or comfortable as your find in other countries. Having said that though I guess I'd rather do that than risk my life on a moped or something like that so the comfort factor wouldn't be THAT much of an issue.

6. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

Right now in my life I would travel with a tour. I do not speak the language and I would like to get with a tour so that I can stay safe.

7. oportosanto

oportosanto New Member

I think that the train can be the best option among the public transportation because in this way we would avoid traffic. From what I can see the traffic in the big cities can be pretty hectic, so if we have a way around that we can enjoy our time better than to be stuck in traffic.

8. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

I would definitely not rent a car on my first visit to a country. I would rather take public transportation whether it be train or taxi. India tends to have a lot of traffic so if you are in a hurry the train would be the best mode to travel. Plus being stuck in traffic with that heat cannot be comfortable.

9. Tiffani Walker

Tiffani Walker New Member

Thank you, this was really helpful. Especially about getting a taxi through the hotel's front desk. I would never have thought of that. We're planning on visiting India in the next few years with the kids, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible right now in preparation. It's also good to know that most people speak English in the cities. You've been very helpful.

10. artyarson

artyarson New Member

Yea, I'd support the idea of travelling by public transport. But first, learn more about it. I mean the routes and stuff like that. Use navigators and maps on the spot as well. That's it!

11. Barty

Barty New Member

I would rather consider a taxi than just taking public transportation. I prefer the door to door service, not to mention the fact that I would probably get lost if left to my own devices.

12. Ankisha

Ankisha New Member

I would suggest hiring a taxi for the whole day so that you don't have to face any problem while traveling. This way, you will not end up wasting your time asking for the directions. The taxi drivers are aware of all the roads and will take you straight to the destination.

oportosanto likes this.
  13. Barty

Barty New Member

More countries would benefit from the use of an "Uber"-type service, but I don't think taxi drivers are in fear of their jobs in India. I know that it operates in Australia, and the Aussies actually have mixed emotions about it.