1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do in Chennai?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by GayatriShauraya, May 17, 2017.

1. GayatriShauraya

GayatriShauraya New Member

I will be in Chennai, and while my husband will be busy in meetings and visiting clients, I will be stuck in the hotel with nothing to do.
    If it were only one day, it would be ok, but the stay in Chennai is for six days. I would like some advice on what to do in Chennai, taking into consideration I will be traveling on my own.

I am not interested in seeing malls, as there nothing to see in malls, but please do mention famous places of interest.

2. Karan

Karan Member

There is so much to do in Chennai, there are beaches, museums, temples etc. I am providing you with a short list of what all you can see and do in Chennai.

Kapaleeshwarar Temple
    This is one of the oldest temples in Chennai and it is a must visit. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. There is a yearly festival called Brahmotsavam festival which is held during the months of March/April.

San Thome Cathedral
    This is a Roman Catholic Cathedral founded in 1523. It is the final resting place of St Thomas and the tomb is located behind the cathedral.

Higginbothams
    If you have an interest in reading then you should visit Higginbothams in Chennai, which is the oldest bookshop in India and has been around since 1844.

Government Museum
    The Government Museum has three buildings which hold different types of numismatic and archaeological and collections.

Fort St George
    At Fort St George you are able to see a museum which has information on the Chennai origins, art from the colonial times. There is also an old church which is India's oldest British churches.

Hotel Saravana Bhavan
    When it comes to food to have to be at the Hotel Saravana Bhavan, who have branches across Tamil Nadu and abroad. They are famous for their breakfasts and South Indian thalis.

Nalli Silks
    If you want to do some traditional shopping of the famous Kanchipuram saree then Nalli Silks is the place to shop at, who have a wide variety of sarees.

Marina Beach
    This beach provides its tourists with a lot of things to do, such as the local markets, stalls, and eateries. You will find locals, families, and tourists on this beach and it can get a bit crowded at times too.

Elliots Beach
    Elliots Beach is a bit more peaceful than Marina Beach. So if you want to spend a bit of private time then this is the beach to visit.

For more information on what to do in Chennai you can visit the similar threads, places to see in Chennai and things to do in Chennai.