1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Rhinos

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Travis, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Travis

Travis New Member

Do you know if we can see any white rhinos in India? I think they are beautiful animals and would love to see one up close. I know we can’t get that close, but we can get closer than a zoo or wild life preserve.

2. Daira

Daira New Member

I didn't think white rhinos were found in India. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they lived in the southern regions of Africa.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

If you're wanting to see the Indian Rhinoceros, I've heard good things about Kaziranga National Park. The animals at the park here are all out in natural vegetation, so I really liked that about it. It's on my list of places I want to go when I get to India. I don't know if you're looking for a closer encounter than that - but I think personally I would be content with the national park!

4. Kristie

Kristie New Member

I thought you could find white rhinos only in certain parts of Africa? Are there some that live in India? Please let us know if you find them :)

5. Ted

Ted New Member

As far as I know, white rhinos only live in Southern Africa. If you see them in India, I am pretty sure it will only be in a zoo.

6. Andrew

Andrew New Member

You might be right about white rhinos only living in Southern Africa. I was just wondering if any had been migrated to India. I guess the best way to find out is to visit one of the wildlife preserves and see for myself.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Member

That would really be a cool sight to see. Nothing that I looked into in all the research that I did before I went to India suggested that it was anything that was available there, but maybe I was just not looking in the right places. I would imagine that if they have migrated or they are there that places like travel agencies and other resources can lead you in that direction.

8. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

India is home to one horned rhino, which is black in color. White rhinos are not endemic to India. According to a recent statistics the population of one horned black rhino is about 2000 and 1300 are in India alone, rest of the one horned rhino are in Nepal and Bhutan.

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Aren't white rhinos endangered because poachers keep killing them for their horns? I seem to recall that they actually try and hide the rhinos' location from the public, as poachers can still track them down just by the background area from the picture. So odds are I don't think you'll be able to see a white rhino with your own eyes. I think they should stay away from people for their own good. Maybe try and change your mind and look for an animal that isn't nearly hunted into extinction?

10. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there!

The White Rhinoceros or the Square-Lipped Rhinoceros can only be found in Africa. About 98% of their population are in just five countries: South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Kenya and Uganda. There are two kinds of white rhinos: the Southern one and the Northern one.

In 2001, about 11,600 Southern White Rhinos were in the wild. By 2007, it has increased to about 17,000 Southern white rhinos. The Southern white rhinos have the biggest number out of all the other types of rhinos.

Unfortunately, due to poaching, many of the wild Northern White Rhinos are gone now. There were six Northern white rhinos in captivity in the Dvur Kralove Zoo in Czech Republic. Four were transferred to the Ol Pejeta Conservatory in Kenya. One of the two rhinos died in Czech Republic though. The last two males capable of reproduction also died in 2014. Now, there are only three Northern white rhinos remaining.

In order to conserve the near extinction Northern white rhino species, the conservatory has introduced two Southern white rhinos in the park. They are hoping that the competition between the two rhinos will increase the chances of them mating. They are hoping that they can cross-breed the sub-species.

The major difference between the Black Rhinoceros and the White Rhinoceros is their lips, not their colour. The Black Rhino has pointed lips, as its diet consists mostly of trees and bushes and they need their pointed lips to pluck the leaves and fruits. The White Rhinoceros has a square shaped lips as their diet consists mostly of grasses. The square shaped lips help them graze the grasses easily.

You won't be able to find White Rhinoceroses in India, as far as I know. Like I've mentioned, you can only find them in certain countries in Africa,

I hope this helps!