Wine shops and alcohol in Pushkar

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by JakobJ, Jan 4, 2015.

1. JakobJ

JakobJ New Member

Hi

I was just going through some posts and found that being a holy city, alcohol consumption is forbidden in Pushkar. Is that true? Is it forbidden for Hindu's only or nobody is allowed to consume alcohol in Pushkar?

Is there any wine shop available in or around Pushkar, I was wondering if alcohol is forbidden, then what other options are available there?

Jakob

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Pushkar is an ancient holy place for Hindus and there are no wine shops and no restaurants serve non veg food either. If you want alcohol while you are at Pushkar then go to Ajmer which is about 20 mins drive where you can also get non veg food in restaurants.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There is one shop where you can get alkohol in Pushkar but the choice is very limited so most people drive to Ajmer to get their alkohol/alcohol. Contrary to popular belief the hotels there have no problem with guests drinking in their rooms and you can even ask if they would allow you to have your own drinks in the restaurant.

4. Karan

Karan Member

That's weird if you can drink alcohol in Pushkar then why not serve it as well?

5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It is a religious place and for serving alcohol you need a bar license which the government wont provide near locations of religious gatherings and importance. Wine shop is a bit further away from the temples and sarowar.

6. Shiv

Shiv Member

I have been past Pushkar a couple of times, but never actually been there, from what I know there is nothing really special to see there, why do people even go there?

7. Prits

Prits Member

There is nothing to see in Pushkar really, even I don't know why people go there, but if you do happen to go to Pushkar there is a restaurant right opposite the saraovar which serves some of the most amazing food and it is a great place to go relax and enjoy good food. You would find a lot of foreigners there as well. Sorry I can not remember the name of the restaurant!

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

That place is on the eastern ghats and is called Sunset Cafe.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Yes, alcohol isn't legal to drink in Pushkar. The local government forbids drinking alcohol within the city limits.

Well, generally, it's for everybody. However, it's not unusual for some hotels and shops to sell alcohol, discreetly of course. So as you can see, it's not as strictly enforced in the city.

As I've said, some shops and restaurants still sell alcohol or alcoholic drinks. There's the Hard Rock in the Main Market Road in Pushkar. You can actually buy alcoholic drinks and other types of drinks in here. It's more of a bar/restaurant with loud music playing.

Then another one is R.R. Hotel and Bar in Ganahera in Pushkar. You can find it near the Petrol Pump. It's mainly a hotel but it also has its own bar which serves alcoholic drinks. They have many brands of beers and alcohols you can choose from and they're relatively cheaper. You can also buy non-vegetarian dishes here.

Otherwise, many hotels do offer wines and champagnes on their menu. You can opt for that as well.

I hope this helps!