1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amber Fort

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by Lou Lavan, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Lou Lavan

Lou Lavan New Member

I am doing the Golden Triangle tour along with my wife. I am organising the itinerary myself, as we know most of what we want to see.
    When in Jaipur I would like help from members to tell me about the Amber Fort.

I know that to go up to the fort you can either get an elephant ride or walk up, I would like to know what the cost of the elephant ride is?

How long would it take a tour of Amber Fort?

I have heard of some forts which provide accommodation is Amber Fort one of them?

Do you suggest getting a guide for the fort? If yes what is a reasonable cost (it is good to know the cost as we don't want to get cheated on with the price)?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

You can get the elephant ride and a private tour for $90. I think the ride alone costs less. I would recommend the whole package, since that is fairly inclusive and has been honed to a pretty good deal.

3. Ambika Jain

Ambika Jain New Member

Depends on you, if you are going to take pictures of every little thing then a day wont be enough but for me it took me four hours and I got about 60-70 pictures in that time.

Amber fort does not have any accommodation inside. Nahargarh fort has two rooms right at the top and the view from the window at night is beautiful as you can see the whole city below but quality of those rooms was not good atall.

Guides have a union and they all charge the same price. I did not get a guide so cannot comment on the exact price but I would imagine 200-300 for an hours tour may be.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Elephant Ride to reach the Amber Fort is priced at Rs. 1,000 for 2 people.

It takes anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes just for the elephant to reach the Amber Fort, depending on the traffic on the way up. And then to tour the whole Amber Fort, I suggest at least four hours. This way, you can explore all the places inside it. If you can hire a tour guide, the better, since they know much about the place and can help you as well. Otherwise, just do your homework and read about the important places to visit in the Amber Fort. Print out the details as well if you can.

I know of Ramathra Fort in Sapotra, Ahilya Fort in Maheshwar Fort Barli in Rajasthan and Neemrana Fort in Rajasthan, they all have accommodations. But sadly, Amber Fort isn't really one of them.

I do suggest getting a guide. These guides have the experience and knowledge about the Amber Fort and can make the best use of the little time you have. You might disregard important parts of the fort especially if you haven't researched about it before. Guides hired for an hour costs Rs. 450. For half-day tours of the whole city of Jaipur including the Amber Fort, it can cost higher, average of Rs. 6,900.

Don't forget that there's a fee to enter the Amber Fort as well:
    • Indian: Rs. 25
    • Foreigner: Rs. 200
    • Indian Student: Rs. 10
    • Foreign Student: Rs. 100
    There's also a light and sound show at the evening:
    • English Light Show at 7:30 pm: Rs. 200
    • Hindi Light Show at 8:00 pm: Rs. 100
    Opening hours is from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.

I hope this helps!