1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bagdogra to Kathmandu by Road

Discussion in 'Nepal' started by Breezer, May 24, 2016.

1. Breezer

Breezer New Member

This is for the people who know about West Bengal and who have traveled on the Bagdogra to Kathmandu road.
    I will be getting a flight from Kolkata to Bagdogra and from there I intend to get a bus to reach my destination of Kathmandu. Now, I have not heard many good stories or experiences for the Bagdogra to Kathmandu road, as its supposed to be an awful road with constant shaking.
    What more should I expect from this route?

Is is true that you need to change buses once at the border?

How long would the bus journey from Bagdogra to Kathmandu take?

Would you suggest getting a taxi from Bagdogra to Kathmandu?

2. Shiv

Shiv Member

The roads used to be in a bad condition, but they are smoother now and in a better condition.

Yes, you need to change buses from Kakarvitta (Nepal). There are several buses which leave every day from Kakarvitta to Kathmandu.

The journey from Bagdogra (India) to Kakarvitta (Nepal) is at a distance of 20km and would take you around 30 minutes by taxi.
    From Kakarvitta to Kathmandu the journey can be anything from 10 - 18 hours by bus.

It entirely depends on what your budget is. If wanting to get a taxi you would have to change at the Kakavitta border and it would cost you anything from Rs5000 - Rs10000, depending on what vehicle you use. A taxi would also be more suitable if you want to take some time out to view the beautiful surroundings on the way to Kathmandu.
    Otherwise getting a bus would be a good option as well.