1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bhaang thandai in Varanasi

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by NotOliver, Nov 21, 2014.

1. NotOliver

NotOliver New Member

I am traveling to Varanasi in a week and my friend asked me to try Bhaang Tandai down there, he told me that it is a sweet drink similar to Whiskey which will hallucinate me for a while but it is worth trying and one of the main alterations in Varanasi. I would like to know is it a legal thing to do and is it normal thing for a foreigner to try in Varanasi.

It would be my first time with bhang so I am not very certain if I should do it outside or must bring it in my hotel room.

Is there anyone who has tried it and can tell how strong effect it gives.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

It does not taste or look like whiskey atall and the effects are different too. Its just marijuana but you mix it with milk or other stuff and drink it thats all. It is perfectly legal at Varanasi and is a traditional thing so no legal hassle there.

If you are going to have normal quantity then it wont really matter but if you want to drink yourself stupid then common sense says bring it to your hotel and go for it :)

Bam bam bhole

3. Aadi

Aadi Member

I can not imagine myself returning from Varanasi without having bhaang, its just regular marijuana mixed with flavours and some herbs in milk or sometimes in butter milk. Having a glass is not a trouble and its totally legal there.

4. Aadi

Aadi Member

You can even call it Mrijuana Milkshake. Here is a pic for you, Bholenath is right above the glass on background and Yes, remember to say Jai Bholenath instead of cheers ;)
    bhaang varanasi.png

5. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Having sufficient amount of bhang thandai will instantly transform you into a Baba ;) One glass is never a problem as I have seen lots of people drinking more then one glass and walk off as if nothing happened. It is not for intoxication I guess, more symbolic in nature.

Tanmaya likes this.
  6. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

One thing I know about bhaang is that it makes you hungry afterwards.